Having read through the Bible a number of times, I am struck by what a great sense of humor God possesses (aside from creating me). God's sense of irony is incredible. In fact, it's perfect!

Here are just a few examples from Scripture. Join in and add some of your own.

In the Old Testament, in the Book of Esther, we meet a nasty character named Haman. He wants to kill our hero Mordecai by hanging Mordecai on the gallows. Haman convinces the king to allow him to build a huge gallows for the execution. Esther uncovers the plot before the king, which results in Haman being hanged on the very gallows he built.

In the New Testament, Jesus tells a story about two men. One sees a small sliver of wood in his brother's eye and tries to remove it. The problem is the man had a large plank of wood protruding from his own eye, which prevented him from helping his friend. The picture Jesus painted is comical. It was a biting rebuke of the Pharisees.

Anyone have other examples?

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like this scripture - a funny and sarcastic statement! :

You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that - and shudder. (James 2:19)

Instead of the word 'good' another translation reads "you do well" :-)
Good one, Phil!
Judges 3:21-22
21 Ehud reached with his left hand, drew the sword from his right thigh and plunged it into the king's belly. 22 Even the handle sank in after the blade, which came out his back. Ehud did not pull the sword out, and the fat closed in over it.

Okay maybe its not exactly humor. But in a way it is. "the fat closed over it". One translation says the fat rolled over the knife. In a sick sort of way... that is kind of funny. I don't know I've always thought it was though
It made me chuckle.
This may be totally off topic and I apologise in advance for all those that I will offend now. But every lenten season and during the ash wednesday service in particular, the rector usually says something like "we are but dust, and to dust we shall return."

Well, on one particular ash wed service they asked the band to provide the service music. And we were all on stage in our places and getting prepared for our next song. The rector uttered the phrase "but dust" as normal. Except this time,all of us in the band looked at each other and at the same time we all mouthed "you are butt dust" to each other. Needless to say, the whole band broke up in stiffled laughter. We could not look at one another for fear of cracking completly up.

And that was the last time we were asked to play for the ash wed service!

Forgive me Lord if I am wrong, but I do think He wants us to have a sense of humor; even if we are but dust.

Glenn†
I love the book of Samuel - In the first Chapter, Elkanah's other wife Peninnah would "provoke her in order to irritate her" because Hannah could not bear a child...I can just imagine the conversations that Peninnah would have with Hannah "Oh Hannah, it's a shame you can't have any children...by the way..did I tell you I am with child *again*?".....

When Hannah cried out to the Lord, not only did he bless her with Samuel who became a priest (oh SNAP!) but then He goes and gives her FIVE more children - three boys and two girls (double snap with a twist) You go girl! God is on YOUR side, and He's laughing!
God does have a way of rubbing it in with the arrogant! This was a very good point!
You are my kind of worship band Glenn. That was priceless!
He designed the camel!
Excellent point, Dave. I'll go one better, though. Remember in Judges how Samson killed all those Phillistines with only the jawbone of an ass? Somehow that has to say something about how God injects something humorous in his rebuke of heathen gods.
Oh true!
How about in 1 Samuel Chapter 5, when the Philistines took the ark, they brought it to Ashdod and set it in the temple of their god Dagon. When they woke up in the morning, there was Dagon, fallen face down at the feet of the ark of the Lord! How great is that?

Or how about in Judges where Gideon defeats the Midanites who were "thick as locusts" and their camels "too many to be counted" with 300 men, some trumpets, clay jars, and torches? LOL
Testimony hat on!

I went for two job interviews and the second one offered more money and an easier journey. I was offered both positions and had asked for time to think about it. I was on my way home from the second one and driving on the M4 (a major motorway). I began to have a feeling that that second job was wrong! So I prayed, and I said if I should take the first job, Lord give me a sign. Within seconds a police car came past and with lights flashing made all 3 lanes of traffic stop. I watched in awe as the police got out of the car and drag a large fallen motorway traffic sign off the middle of the road. Me getting a sign stopped at least a hundred cars!

I must admit that I firstly thought in human terms, coincidence! However, told my wife about it and I took the first Job with a large French Bank in London. With in weeks of starting an email appeared that asked for Christians to help form a Christian Union.

So I'm sure God was laughing at my mustard seed of faith.

RSS

© 2020       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service