A post in the ongoing---and possibly unending--anointing (one n) thread got me to thinking, which is always a dangerous thing.  One post in particular mentions having trouble knowing the difference between (paraphrase here) participating in a spirit filled worship, experiencing God's presence, or having an emotional reaction to music that happens to mention Jesus in it.

What do you think?

Views: 325

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mark Knopfler inspires me to no end.

But I would caution that the word "anointing" as we use it in this context seems to have nothing to do with the Biblical usage. 

"Mark Knopfler inspires me to no end."

I'm not too familiar with him. I'll check him out on youtube.

Mark Knopfler used to head up Dire Straits.  I first came across the group in 1979 while i was at school and we were all enthusing how someone could play a Strat (or was it a Tele) with such an amazing finger picking style.  And he sang/crooned as well....

Another one who inspired me a bit (or to be honest, made me sick....)  was Mark King of Level 42, who was an amazing bass player who could slap away and still manage to do a lead vocal. 

Whether thay are what i would call anointed is another thing.  Personally i would say they were just very talented.    

The first time I ever tried to talk and play, it was so weird.  I could only talk on the primary beats, so I sounded... like... a... rather... unintelligent... and... definitely... unanointed... robot.

If we want to get in a merry-go-ground, we might asw, "what is talent"?  For some, it means playing difficult things fast.  For others, it means expressiveness (I don't think Burl Ives or Johnny Cash ever sang a difficult passage in their lives, but people tuned in whenever they sang).

For most, probably to sing expressively is the most difficult.

OK--Now I know why the name was so familiar but I couldn't place anything he did.  They were one fine jamming band.  Then I see all these vids with Emmylou Harris--THE BEST voice in music and one of the few that can give me the chills without actually singing words (end of 'All My Tears'--imho THE BEST song to sing at my funeral.)  I fully understand your appreciation for his music.  Now I've got to put on 'Telegraph Road'.
Well, he has an even more impressive solo career, you should check out "Golden Heart" or "Shagrila".
Just YouTubed Emmylou -- she has a mighty fine manner of singing, shapes the lines beautifully, and has a peacefulness which pervades the music.
"I tend to shy away from labeling everything we do in church (or in life in general). God is all and in all, and all things are created for Him. I think we try to box it up too much. The Bible says all good and perfect gifts come down from the Father of Lights. To me, that means anything that is uplifting, inspiring, or creates some sort of longing for God is something that God sent as a gift. Don't analyze it; enjoy it!"

OK--I can understand this fully. It sort of takes me back to when Kevin Prosch (wrote some prominent worship songs in the 90's) came to our church and boldly proclaimed "Don't hate your humanity", before going into a rousing version of 'Brown Eyed Girl'. I can sometimes feel guilty for still liking the old music, or even new music, that isn't Christ-centered. I guess the difference is that I now thank and worship the creator of music rather than praising and idolizing the one who performs it.

"I guess the difference is that I now thank and worship the creator of music rather than praising and idolizing the one who performs it."

That's my point. When the music/song/style/solo makes your heart soar, weep, reflect, then to me that's when our creator puts His finger on it and speaks into our life.

We are musicians; music is supposed to move us. Maybe the message that most "secular" musicians present is incomplete, but as ones who have the Spirit of Truth within who is revealing all things to us, we can take those human beginnings and finish the story.

At times, I too struggle with hating my humanity. I have to keep reminding myself that humanity is what Christ gave his life for. For God so loved the world...

I agree.  God redeems emotions -- emotions are part of us, an essential part.  How would you like to live in a world where everybody was righteous, but was unaffected by anything emotionally?

The circumcision party kept insisting that holiness be achieved through an act of what they considered obedience.  If I recall, the Apostle Paul made a rather emotional reply to them!

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.  (Amplified enviably happy, with a happiness produced by experience of God's favor and especially condiitoned by the revelation of His matchless grace; also 'blithesome, fortunate, to be envied, having life-joy)

Our mind is transformed.  God grows new happinesses into us (and music can be part of the means).  Instead of feeding lust for imaginary women, we see the glory of the wife* whom God has given us.  Instead of feeding indolence in front of a TV, we are active in sharing God's love, which brings interpersonal joys we would have missed.  As the hymn goes, everything looks "a brighter hue."

Good Christian music can well identify with the experiences of new and growing life in Christ, and challenge the listener to new vistas.

(* it's impossible to match singular/plural case of wife/wives with the pronouns.  One way, it looks like I have ten wives; the other way, it looks like ten of us have one wife:)

A whole 'nother subject on anointing, or on, let's call it Especially Powerful Ministry, would be "what is there about C.S. Lewis, Billy Graham, Philip Yancey, Darlene Zschech?" 

Maybe an answer lies in a suspicion that these four (among millions) enjoy the blessed state of mind that Screwtape has described, or at least come closer than me!

RSS

© 2022       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service