One of my absolute favorite songs of worship is "Song of the Harlot" by Michael Pritzl of The Violet Burning.  The Lord has used it to show me of His absolute forgiveness on some occasions when I was falling away and having doubts about His truths.  I'd love to bring it to the congregation, but have serious questions about one of the words and am not sure how to change it or how it will be taken.  As a one time elder in this church I would have had some reservations, but think I would have given the ok to use it as 'special music' for a specific sermon.  I'm not sure about using it in the general congregation, though I know it has been used in some more progressive congregations.  Any suggestions on how to change that word and what to ryhyme it with without changing the meaning of the song are appreciated.  Here's a link to an acoustic version with lyrics shown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbdtq75xhlk

WARNING--THE FILE ATTACHED TO THIS POST CONTAINS A WORD CONSIDERED VULGAR.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN IF YOU WILL BE OFFENDED BY IT.

added after Stevo's response.

Views: 338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perhaps so. But the W word is just quite ugly and nasty, it even sounds ugly.
I just love it and use it ALL the time!! J/K!!!!! I think i'm done with this one... back to the America haters/Islam lovers...
The way meaning shifts in language can't be ignored -- people should stay alert to not only meaning, but connotation. A term like "brown-nose" is used most innocently today, yet originally it was a gross obscenity.

Proverbs mentions that it is really an affront to greet a person loudly in the early morning. By the same token, to brag about how the Lord gave you your shiny new car to a man who has just had his transmission blow, with no money to fix it, is indecent and irreverent.

RSS

© 2021       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service