Hi folks.

I know this is a very subjective question, but what make & model of guitar do you find best for leading worship. I have a Martin HD-28 which is nice but i find it a bit muddy at times and i also have a Taylor 114 which is a tad tinny.

Views: 10223

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exactly, Vic! 

And IMO, the best guitar to use in worship is a Washburn!!!  Glad I could help!

Holy necro-thread resurrection batman!

Time this zombie was laid to rest again after being disturbed in its grave by spamming.

If you are going through the sound system, you can improve the sound and customize it with a pre amp.

Best acoustic guitar for worship? It's a Telecaster. ;)

You may well be right Toni, but a Telecaster would be wasted on me - unfortunately : (  I live in hope though!

Toni said:

Lorraine Doswell said:

You may well be right Toni, but a Telecaster would be wasted on me - unfortunately : (  I live in hope though!

Toni said:

One of the great things about a Tele is that you can strum it like an acoustic and it will work just fine. If you like the idea but don't want to spend loads, go look at Harley Benton versions on the Thomann web site - it's cheaper than buying a used squier on ebay.

Strange.......I have never thought of a Telecaster as a strumming guitar, but as a wild, bend the strings at the top end type of guitar!  You live and learn : )

Toni said:

Lorraine Doswell said:

Toni said:

One of the great things about a Tele is that you can strum it like an acoustic and it will work just fine. If you like the idea but don't want to spend loads, go look at Harley Benton versions on the Thomann web site - it's cheaper than buying a used squier on ebay.

It can be, but if you watch many of the guys using it for 'worship' music, all they do is strum like it was an acoustic, partial chords, mix of open and fretted strings etc. Both the Tele and Strat are great bridge guitars to move from acoustic, because they respond well to strumming and the single coil pickups can sound acoustic-ish through a clean amp.

Shorter scale Les Paul type guitars require much more finesse and control to get the best from, and it's a different technique from acoustic that lets one just thump away with gusto. ;-)  It can be it bit like trying to control a flame thrower instead of a garden hose. But hoof any of them with enough gain/distortion and the differences get much narrower.

Lorraine Doswell said:

Strange.......I have never thought of a Telecaster as a strumming guitar, but as a wild, bend the strings at the top end type of guitar!  You live and learn : )

Toni said:

Lorraine Doswell said:

Toni said:

You know your stuff Toni, so what kind if guitar do you prefer for worship and would it be a different guitar if it weren't used for worship music - a genuine question (well two actually)?  It's kinda like singing voices, you hear people say that so and so has a great voice for worship.  What kinda voice is that then?  Is it a versatile voice or a 'churchy' voice? 

Toni said:

It can be, but if you watch many of the guys using it for 'worship' music, all they do is strum like it was an acoustic, partial chords, mix of open and fretted strings etc. Both the Tele and Strat are great bridge guitars to move from acoustic, because they respond well to strumming and the single coil pickups can sound acoustic-ish through a clean amp.

Shorter scale Les Paul type guitars require much more finesse and control to get the best from, and it's a different technique from acoustic that lets one just thump away with gusto. ;-)  It can be it bit like trying to control a flame thrower instead of a garden hose. But hoof any of them with enough gain/distortion and the differences get much narrower.

Lorraine Doswell said:

Toni said:

Lorraine Doswell said:

Toni said:

TBH I don't have a single guitar type that I prefer, other than I'd rather use an electric most of the time. The exception is if I'm the sole musician with 5-20 people, where I'll use acoustic because it fits better, though I used to even use electric down to 10 or so. Acoustic is easier to manage sonically because it tends to occupy less of the range that voices use, and the lack of sustain and sharp rise & fall of the tone can make it behave like a drum more than a chordal instrument.

For general use with others I used to prefer a Strat, because that had the greatest versatility, and could do everything from rock and jazz through funk and thin acoustic-style sounds. I also sometimes use a solid guitar with acoustic style piezo bridge pickup that really thins the sound to bring it above the congregation. I did have a tele, but sold it to buy a flying V. :-D

If I'm playing with a full band then I'll grab a Les Paul type or something with hot pickups that can do big overdriven sounds as well as sparkly cleans. There's usually someone else playing acoustic in that situation. ;-)

Lorraine Doswell said:

You know your stuff Toni, so what kind if guitar do you prefer for worship and would it be a different guitar if it weren't used for worship music - a genuine question (well two actually)?  It's kinda like singing voices, you hear people say that so and so has a great voice for worship.  What kinda voice is that then?  Is it a versatile voice or a 'churchy' voice? 

Toni said:

Lorraine Doswell said:

Toni said:

Lorraine Doswell said:

Toni said:

I now use a Fender Malibu Electroacoustic for playing lead  going through a Fishman  ToneDeq (chorus and delays). 

I'm looking to part ex the rest of my guitars for a Godin Acousticaster Natural with Maple Neck.  As I would really like an acoustic telecaster with a maple neck (fretboard).  However,  I don't like the plastic fender. So the Godin shouldl do what I want.  

RSS

© 2020       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service