First, I am writing this as the "newest pastor" in my town. I am looking for some serious thoughts as it relates to Christian musicians [worship team members] playing secular music outside the church. I have been asked by members of a worship team that I have played with to get together and play a benefit for a Catholic Church/School Fundraising event. At this event alcohol with be served [yes, at a church fundraiser] and the song list that I have received is all secular music. The music is mostly classic rock [ie: Jumpin Jack Flash, Jet Airliner, Already Gone by the Eagles, Can't Explain by The Who, etc...] with only one Third Day song which is Christian focused. How does one handle a situation such as this? On one hand I am playing with a great group of Spirit Filled Christian men who love God, and on the other, especially as a Pastor, I feel torn as to what kind of message this will send, as I am a leader in Christ's Church. You thoughts??????

Fredo

Views: 2383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than to have a frontal lobotomy."
The voices in my head are some of the best conversationalists I know.

"Jumpin' Jack Flash" was based on Richards' gardener, Jack, who woke up Jagger during a song writing session.  When Jagger asked who was making the noise, Richards replied, "That's Jack. Jumping Jack."

Jagger is quoted as saying that the song is about the hard time they had getting out of the acid scene after the Their Satanic Majesties Request album.  So not Satan, or Jesus as I've heard others say.

Though one of the most addictive songs to play on the guitar, especially if you call play it with some solid musicians.

At events like this, doors are opened to those who don't see that the church is relevent anymore or too closed off. Never compromise on your Christian belief in these settings either, that pushes them away too - yes , a fine line sometimes.

We did a gig like this DownUnder years ago. We did some songs from the 70's like The Mighty Quinn - but we had someone in the band that could change the words to Christian base. That way the public knew the song and listen to the words, they got it and enjoyed it. This is the whole point of evangilising to the hearts of the people - by getting their attention and letting the Holy Spirit go do the rest. People will came forward to talk to the band and see that you are real and not "Stiff Necked People".

BTW - get deep into prayer the week before the event and work as a team - give the team some options to talk about but not heavy stuff. Things like , where you meet and general stuff.

This is always an interesting subject! I grew up in a pretty closed minded theology. What's interesting is that many "Christian" artists are very far from being Christian. I also find it interesting that some people who would have a major problem with you playing secular songs probably watch secular TV shows, read secular newspapers/websites, have secular conversations, work in a secular environment etc...

I think the concern here is not whether or not you're only playing Christian songs. I think the main focus you should have is whether or not you are displaying a Christ like attitude through all that you do. If a song goes against what is morally right, then don't sing it. It will send a mixed message. However, if you play secular songs at a secular event around secular people, you just might end up convincing someone to believe in Jesus by demonstrating how Jesus would have treated them. That to me is a great message to send as a leader in the church...

very well said. this is the best coment so far and to add to this.

the main point isnt if Jesus drank real wine or not. its how are culture looks at a christians drinking period. many non christians feel if you say you are a christian you shouldnt have that drink in your hand then.

you dont have to drink to share christ with a drunkard just like you dont have to smoke to share christ with a smoker.

ALL YOU NEED TO DO ABOUT THIS WHOLE THING IS PRAY AND THEN LISTEN FOR YOURSELF TO THE LEADING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. THATS ALLLL THAT MATTER HEAR.  WHAT HE SAYS. THE HOLY SPIRIT LIVING IN YOU. FOLLOW HIM AND IF YOU END UP GOING FILLED UP WITH HIM THEN HE WILL SHIIIIIIINE THROUGH YOU AND ALL UNBELIVERS AROUND YOU WILL TAKE NOTE.

JUST BE YOURSELF AND DONT DO ANYTHING YOU FEEL WOULD GRIEVE THE HOLYSPIRIT. WAIT AND SEE WHAT GOD WILL DO. JUST SING SONGS THAT WILL NOT GRIEVE HIS SPIRIT AND THEN WHEN IT COMES TIME TO TALK TO PEPS JUST TALK AND SHOT THE BREEZE THEN INVITE THEM TO CHURCH.

THE THING THE WORLD IS LOOOOONGING TO FIND GOD. TO KNOW GOD. TO EXPERIENCE GOD. WE JUST HAVE TO HAVE ENOUGH BACK BONE TO SEEK GOD, GET FILLED UP WITH HIS GLORY , POWER AND PRESENCE AND THEN IN HIS ATHORITY JUST AS WE LIVE OUR DAY TO DAY LIFE WE WILL SPILL OVER ON OTHERS ALL THAT CHRIST IS NATURALLY!!!!! GOD BLESS YOU PASTOR!!!

Well i'm going to have to disagree completely. I get the whole "Jesus hung out with sinners" thing, but they also looked at Jesus wrong for it. I also get the "message" you send by mingling with unbelievers, but what about the people who are going to look at you all and say "what kind of Christians are these, playing non Christian songs where alcohol is being served?". As a Worship leader myself , and the son of a pastor, i'm always thinking about the other side. Recently my father was invited to a reunion of his old Latin band that used to play in clubs back in the day. They wanted to all get together and play. There was going to be alcohol and my dad turned it down, and i think it was the right decision. 

The Bible calls us to be separated for God, and i don't think this situation reflects this command. i heard a message recently that encourages us not to ask if "it's right", but to ask "is it holy". I've always been looked at as "extreme" so i wouldn't be surprised if you all think so too, lol.

Also if you really want to get involved and help raise funds, then hold something at YOUR church under YOUR terms.

Hey Ralph, so by what you are saying , is that Jesus was NOT Holy then, because He walked with sinners - thats what I understand by what you are saying?! If that is not so, please clear that up for me.

You can be Holy and also be others too, otherwise the great commission is just a statement not an intension for us.

To be holy, means not to indulge in the sin of the world but show others that we are different and have better mindset ( not to get drunk or lose control etc). Thats one of the reason Jesus gave us the Holy Spirit to keep us on the right track. By all means, if one or two of the team may stubble then step them down for that reason. I have a lot of Christian friends who can't go near anyone drinking as they are EX drunks from their old life, so I understand if your father said no for the reason of others under his care or in his flock.

I understand that sometimes people will judge you where ever you are - so yes, stay under God's covering and do what God wants you to do. By all means don't drink and don't sing songs that are wrong and give wrong attitude and meaning. God loves us and wants us to have fun and joy, and to show others that you can enjoy yourself and be a Christian.

There will always be someone in the church who will judge you for doing something they are too scared to do. They will wont to stay save and HOLY in there church. Jesus told us to go out not stay playing church forever.

Ditto Allan!

Thanks for your courage and strength to state your opinion in a loving manner.  I'm not sure if everyone has the same outlook on this situation that I do, but if so, I don't think you understand the position I/we am/are coming from.  In my point of view, God/Jesus loves us all equally.  So I don't see it as Jesus 'hanging out' with sinners.  I see it as Jesus loving His people and wanting to spend time with them.  He also shared the essential truth with them in a loving way, and in a way that they would truly listen.  Not by standing on a soap box and shouting at them, but by being real with them and opening up his life to them and staying humble himself in joining them.  Those who looked at Him wrong for it did so with a lack of understanding and/or compassion.  Although Jesus is God, did He ever put on a huge show, requesting all the attention and glory He so truly deserved?  If He did, I haven't read that passage.  I myself, as a disciple of Christ, feel that I must humbly love God's people regardless of who they are, what choices they make and what social circles they place themselves in.  And these people, regardless of where they are, need to hear about the great God we all (on WTR) recognize and serve as the King of Kings.  I understand that Romans 12:2 says, "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."  When reading this, I find that God wants me to be 'separated for God' as you put it recently, but is this while sacrificing the souls of those we choose to neglect by 'setting ourselves apart'?  I believe a big, resounding NO is the answer to this question.  Yes, we should strive to be holy and faultless.  Yes, we should learn the ways of the Lord and walk the straight and narrow path.  But Jesus himself also commanded us to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul and mind, and love our neighbor as ourselves.  In Acts 10:47, Paul writes, “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?”  We have the living water!  We must share it!  We must love God, be disciples of Christ, honor Him with our lives, love others, treat them as Jesus did and let God take care of the rest.  Why is playing your instrument for some of God's people so bad?

I agree with this guys here> Very profound statement. Jesus wasnt"hanging out" with sinners......very good.

I  beleive that worship Pastors or vocalist should not be singing secular music in a secular surrounding.  Your voice is your instrument and the power of life and death is in the tongue. So I find it hard to give glory to your self one day and the next morning in chuch give glory to God. And lead his people doing it.Yea I hear you guys out there that say music was made by God and we should enjoy it in all forms and fashions. But remember, satan twisted music into something pretty dark sometimes , and very pretty and easy for all to accept as the norm as well. If your gonna use the analogy that Jesus sat with the prostitues and tax collector ect, Than you better be sharing the gospel just like He did. not just make an appearance so everyone there can be imppessed. This is just my interpretaion and opion.

Look, there are valid reason and excuses for both sides of the here. But ask yourself this, what brings you  closer to the vision that God has placed inside your spirit???!!!! So many times, people distract you from that vision, so much so, it gets weaker and weaker - please, if God says don't,then don't, but if He says do it then,  DO IT.

Your voice is your instrument and the power of life and death is in the tongue. YES, YES, and YES, it is! So use it for God and don't let others close your mouth. 

And we are called to be " The salt of the Earth"  and "NOT pillars of society" - so be the salt of the earth and get out there and reach the people. Don't be like the Pharisees of Jesus time, be out there and be real, as we are all called to be. Don't give satan the excuse to claim that gathering for himself. Go in and claim it for God through song and prayer, but also be relavent to the people or they will close their ears.

Staying in the "Aquarium" is not what I see as the Lords request for us.

But remember, satan twisted music into something pretty dark sometimes....

Don't give all the credit to satan either, man does his own thing too much, sorry to say.

RSS

© 2020       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service