Over in the 4th of July discussion, I made a comment this morning to the effect that rather than viewing patriotic songs in worship as the world pushing its way into the church's territory, we view them as the church recognizing what is going on in the popular culture and trying to use that to attract some new visitors.

It turns out that Halloween falls on a Sunday this year, and Halloween is maybe the least "Christian" of the holidays:

Other Christians feel concerned about Halloween, and reject the holiday because they feel it trivializes - or celebrates - paganism, the occult, or other practices and cultural phenomena deemed incompatible with their beliefs. A response among some fundamentalists in recent years has been to use of "Hell Houses", themed pamphlets, or comic-style tracts such as those created by Jack T. Chick in order to make use of Halloween's popularity as an opportunity for evangelism.

Some consider Halloween to be completely incompatible with the Christian faith
because of its origin as a pagan "Festival of the Dead" (wikipedia)

At the church I attend, I think that what has happened is that the pastor has used the Children's Sermon time to switch the focus from Halloween to All Saints Day (the following day).  One thing we usually do is to read the names of church members (or family of members) who have passed away in the prior year; since we got going with a projector and mediashout, we project photos of those people while the names are being read.

So, anyway, let's say you're the worship leader and the pastor asks you to think about ways you could incorporate Halloween into your October 31st worship service.  How would that sit with you?  How do you think it would sit with your congregation?  Or would your pastor be the one to squish any such idea before it got started?

Other ideas?

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most churches celebrate either a non-darkness Halloween type event, a harvest festival, all saints Day or the Protestant Reformation. The most appropriate is the Reformation but because most church are a-historical they don't.

I think the Hell House scare the hell out of people approach is not a good way to go!

If you connect Halloween with the Sunday service, explain it's original meaning and how it relates to Christianity in a positive and negative way or organize a separate event.

Too often we only focus on the negative but to build a bridge we need to build on the positive!
Eve of the Reformation for sure...

or

You could somehow incorporate "festival of the dead" into a Christian theme - a time to reflect on our lost loved ones, perhaps a time to honor famous saints from the past who have meant something special to the cause of Christ...
i have no idea how anyone could incorporate halloween into a worship service (other than letting the church know about the festival going on that night,during announcements). so that right there would be a stretch for me. and it wouldnt sit well with me at all. like i said with the july 4th conversation, corporate worship is for the worship of God, not anything else. and third, i hope that i wouldnt be leading worship for a church that i didnt share alot of beliefs as the senior pastor. but if i was in that position, i dont think i would do it. i think there would be a conflict there. but i hope that every pastor wouldnt even consider that an option.

and if there was an idea to honor those christians who have died....i think it should be in addition to the regular service. but worship should still be just worship (of The One true God), nothing else.

......since this applies inquiry has been applied to worship leaders....im only thinking about the worship aspect. the rest of the service is up to the pastor.

RSS

© 2021       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service