OK - I wonder if you UK people will identify with this question more than USA people ?

Have any one of you experimented with the Crafty tuning on your guitar?

If so, what are the benefits or complications of it in a worship or other setting?

Also, I like to do lots of drone type stuff - is this tuning condusive to droning?

Just curious,

Tim

Views: 489

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The advantage of open or modal turnings, is that they enable you to keep the rhythm going while doing lead at the same time. Standard tuning doesn't allow that. When with a band or leading worship, I tend to tune according to what key we're playing in. I often play in A major, so to do that, I simply tune the B string to an A. It crates a more open, free flowing sound. Here's an example of me using this tuning: Click here to hear the song

Tuning the guitar with an extra A string rather than a B string is also similar to a mandolin tuning, and I like that folky style!

I keep my electric tuned in perfect 4ths from a low D (DGCFBbEb) - that's an octave up from where I tune my six string bass. It isn't an open tuning per se but does let me approach any key with a few simple shapes and consistency of patterns across the strings. It also provides some very useful open strings that fit with a lot of the tunes we use at church while meaning I can't easily end up sounding like everyone else. My electric guitar is normally playing the role of "icing on the cake" though so I'm working round the edges rather than trying to hold everything together.

I have made some use of open tunings, like DADGAD, DADF#AD and DGDGBbD, when playing acoustic guitar as a solo musician for smaller services. It does give a much fuller sound but I would struggle if someone pulled out an unexpected song. I also find that they tend to pull my voice and rhythmic sensibilities into slightly different paths, which isn't so great if you are trying to lead others.

RSS

© 2021       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service