I lead worship in a military town. Obviously we have some manly men in our church. I really would like to do a few songs but simply can't because of their feminization. Like for instance:

Beautiful One-can you see a man calling Jesus beautiful
At the foot of the Cross-Kathryn Scott-"Trade these ashes in for beauty
And wear forgiveness like a crown
Coming to kiss the feet of mercy"
Hungry-"Jesus your all this heart is living for"

I think you get the point. What do you guys think?

Views: 717

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is spot on and very true.
Around Oct 30 we had a big thing going about genders in heaven. So far, I haven't seen anyone mention Jesus' reply to the Pharisees who were trying to trip him up. They themselves didn't believe in the resurrection, and assumed that those who did figured a man would retain his wife (in other words, they viewed "heaven" as being like earthly life, only nicer). Jesus:
"You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage' they will be like the angels in heaven." Jesus noted that God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. What we do regarding gender and marriage on earth is for earth. Period.

Sorry, boys. The big post-life "school's-out-bash" can only exist in our imaginations. God's got something cooking that's way better. The Scripture simply doesn't say much about exactly what. There's the great Marriage Feast of the Lamb; but our picture of a wedding is so limited -- can't see nibbling at those little nut cups for a thousand years, and waiting, 757,000th in line for my piece of cake. In Christ, there is neither free nor slave, Hebrew nor Greek, male nor female.
"In Christ, there is neither free nor slave, Hebrew nor Greek, male nor female."

Is the weight of this statement/ argument on erasing all human distinctive qualities or denying the mentality of superiority from the kingdom of God?
I think in context, it means that no one has an advantage or standing with God based on personal characteristics like their gender or their genetic makeup. So I'm thinking your second statement comes closest. Did I get it right?
I'm not speaking for Bosque, but I think your interpretation of this Scripture in current language and your concord with his second statement both make sense.
Crap. I don't like lamb.
write your own, seriously get help and write
Wow...this thread seemed to touch a nerve. Kevin, I am late into the thread and am going to pass on reading all 267 comments. I can only share with you my own observations. We have a young man in our church who was preparing to deploy to Afghanistan. He was comfortable grabbing our teaching pastor around the neck to ask for prayer. He was humbled, scared, and on his knees before God. Humility and fear has a way of wiping away "manly" concerns and bringing the focus to the only one who matters, Jesus. He was comfortable bringing his praise and worship to the "Beautiful One".

I can sympathize with you...  I used to work at a church in Hawaii...  We had three major military bases that attended our services from week to week.  

I would use the Psalms as your standard of judging what's girly and what's not.  Most of the Psalms were written by David and he was a man's man.  He killed his 10,000s and also a bear and a lion.  I knew a lot of guys in the military...none of them every killed a lion or a bear with a blunt object.

If you read the Psalms you may find that you need to make some changes...  But you also may find that your military guys may need to make some changes as well.

Incidentally, some of the greatest authors and poets throughout history have also been some of the greatest warriors throughout history.

You can't lose with standard hymns or Gather songs.  I stay away from songs I call "my boyfriend Jesus" type lyrics where it could be sung to anybody else besides God; sappy, like the sloppy wet kiss song.  I have found the men in our congregation really sing to songs that are the hymns or scripture based; have meat to them versus emotional fluff. 

I think the biggest thing is making it singable - in a key that all can do  - C to shining C is always good.  We had one band leader at a church who was a fabulous Irish tenor.  He would not adjust the song key to make it singable for anybody else.  While the song choice wasn't bad, the men would be laughing as he hit note a soprano would hit.  He wasn't leading singing, he was performing.  That is not congregational singing IMBO

For us,  it is focusing on what is a good congregational song vs what would be a better song for a band performance.   I personally don't care for all the songs with LA LAs and OH OH OH OHs as our congregation spans age groups and this is not something the majority would care for.  That is more geared to teens and might work for a youth group.  

We are not a church with a "band" so most of the new 'Christian' music on the radio does not work for us;  chugging guitars, chugging piano and drums but no instrumental melody line except the vocal.  It is hard for people to follow a melody when there is nothing to follow.  We are a piano and two vocals. When we do have more instruments play they are orchestral.  Music notation is required as charts don't work for that.  We enjoy doing a variety of songs Some from old CCM in the 70s, 80s and 90s.  Gospel such as Gathers and Andre Crouch as well as old and contemporary hymns. 

RSS

© 2022       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service