I recently became the worship leader at my church and Im having some trouble getting members for the team. And some of the ones I have now kind of seem to have found other things of more importance to them(different season in their life?). I need advice on how to get people interested in joining i guess if you can understand what i mean! :)

Views: 389

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Like"
Having a big team is much less important than having a few individuals who's hearts are there to worship God. I'd rather run with a single committed guitarist + 1 singer than a full band and choir who are professional..

I think I realize now that that's exactly what was happening every time. I'd look for people but I'd usually end up with myself and a guitar but it's ok cause he was easy going and his heart was right. You're so right and I agree completely.

Good for you, Toni! I kept reading through the replies to see if anyone was going to say that. If you hadn't, I would have said it for sure. I've always said I'd rather have just a few *real worshipers* than a whole stage full of professional-sounding musicians who aren't there specifically to glorify God. (Of course, a stage full of professional-sounding, real worshipers would be very nice).

Whitney, you can't drum up interest in participation in the worship team any more than you can force participation in the worship service from the congregation. People are going to do what they want to do. Try to think of yourself as Lead Worshiper, rather than Worship Leader. Lose some of the formality and lose yourself in love songs to Jesus. As you (and the few faithful members of your team) are truly engaged in worship, you will lead by example and encourage participation both on and off the stage.

It's also a good idea for your Pastor to announce from the pulpit that you need help. A day should be set aside for auditions and a signup sheet should be in the worship folder, on the welcome table, bulletin board and website. Hopefully this will leave folks without excuse and you will get some help.

Ah yes, the wild and wacky world of Praise and Worship leadership. I to have recently have become a P & W leader at one of the churches I and my wife go to. It is a challenge to find team members and retain them. What I have been trying to do is establish a jam night after service, something to give possible recruits a chance to sit in without the stress of having to perform. So far not much luck but.....ya never know.

Whitney, tell us a little more about your situation. 

1. Wht is the demographics of your church. 

2. What genre' of music was the church doing before you became the leader?

3. What is the size of the church?

4. What musicians do you have on your team? 

5. How many vocals?

6. How many worship leaders?

7. How long have you been with this church? Were you hired or where you already apart of the ministry team?

8. What are your own personal skills?  (This is huge!)

The reason I ask is because this is what I do.  I work with worship leaders and their their pastors to bring them through transision... in cases just like yours, but I need a little more information.  But coming in as new worship leader for the next year you will have to gain their respect and confidence in you.  Your methods have to be polished as a leader.  If your methods or reheasals or the way that you comminicate with your team do no seem to the team as polished or feels like you are unorganized, they will not feel secure enough to stand under your leadership, especially if the worship leader before you was very loved and well developed. You have to plan your plan and work your plan.  You have to show that you are organized and well developed as a leader. 

1. It has to first be about who we are worshipping!

2. For you, your number one goal is about the team.  Getting to know each person individually.. what their like's and dislikes are... you have to know your team inside and out.. each team member has to feel important and that you are doing to development into leaders.  Your job now is developing other leaders to do what you do.. as well as musicians and volcaists.

3. Team development FUN, team builders are a must... going somewhere together, developing relationships together.

Whitney, these are just some things.. you can contact me any time.   Where are you at? 

Let me know how I can help.

Brenda Hannah

www.silentkryministries.org

Pray for favor with the members God has chosen for the team, work on your own skills (i.e. make sure you're able to play the songs you use on a keyboard and your voice is strong--Eric Arceneaux has great instructional stuff on Youtube) and don't be too anxious about numbers.  The more people you have, the more work, and if your desire for numbers results in people being there who shouldn't, they'll leave anyway and you could end up discouraged.  Pick music that is close to the skill level of your group.  Once they're successful, they'll be more likely to follow your direction. As you grow and lead, people will be drawn to serve with you.  Remember that the evil one is always trying to get in between you and the members and you and the pastor, and that you HAVE to be in prayer and in the Word to stay strong! 

I agree with Toni - look at the heart first. God will certainly provide. Take what you have and absolutely pour yourself into it. Give it all you have. People want to be a part of that. Congrats on your wonderful job!!

People who are faithful to Jesus-style ministry will stay with even if you as a leader "stretch" them or even if they don;t like the music you choose that much.  They trust you as a leader.  And as their servant, you can do well to respond by finding out what does make them tick -- sometimes by simply asking.  A LOT of leading is doing stuff you wouldn't do if you were the only one around.  Repeat:  A lot of leading is doing stuff others want to do.  Don't even worry about folks who have "seasons."  The Bible says we're not to even bother with "seasons, new moons or other irrelevancies.  If people want to do something, they will.  That's what "passion" is.  Wanting to do something.  Period.

Whoa!  I must have been suffering from too many jalapenos when I wrote that.  I was trying to be "realistic", but ended up, now that I read it, plain cynical.  Actually, leadership does involve the stretching of the leader's plans, purposes and intentions quite a bit.  For instance, our team's bass player sells cars (thus, no weekday or Saturday practices possible); the drummer is a fireman (rotating shifts including Sunday, and sometimes arriving just in time after a long night shift); the singers have multiple agendas, being leaders in other areas. All of them are well over 40, and want to learn the newer songs very precisely, which means as a leader I can't just "let it fly", but I have to sing the melody pretty close to the same way every time, exasperatingly difficult when you've just "let it fly" most of your life.  And it is impossible for all of us to meet weekly except during 45 minutes before the service (so we meet in pieces).

Yet we have in common a love of God-music and a deep desire to share it with the church, and each week God performs a miracles amongst us.

Congratulations on your new endeavor. Hopefully by now you have the people that you wanted for your team.  But the truth is that most churches that I have had the opportunity to worship and play at consist of volunteer members, and as much as we like what we do, life does have it's seasons for all. So we trust in God's plan, we pray, we study, we do what we can to be proficient with the gifts He has given us, and use whatever assets, or knowledge we have available to make it the best we can.

It's ok to desire to have that "perfect team", but in the meantime use what you have. Learn patience, and to the best of your ability treat your team members with lovingkindness.  

RSS

© 2022       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service