I find that many who have lead worship can barely endure sitting in the pews. 

One problem is amplification.  I feel wrong about singing into anything so loud that I can't hear myself. 

I don't think it is about platforms or audiences.  The first thought one may have is that this is about ego and being in the spotlight.  I think the reaction of many is far more visceral than that kind of vanity.

The fact is that watching football is far different than playing football -- on an emotional level. 

Here is the worship team experiences offers, in theory:

Unity - in arrangements and harmonies.

Unity - in working for something together

Unity - in hearing things blend

Unity - responding to another worshipper

Emotional Satisfaction - in succeeding

Relationship - a voice I can't hear is hard to place within the context of a God who is present. 

Vigor - David praised with "all his might" -- there is something more satisfying and vigorous about participating.  He said he would not offer that which costs him nothing.

Laird Hamilton, the famous surfer, tells about being really hard to bear when there are no waves.  The adrenaline addiction is not a frivolous matter.  There is something about the challenge of putting it together and the risk that is far more interesting than having an audience.  But, the result is that without rush, the mundane is difficult. 

The other thing is simply the sound issue.  Either on the platform or off of it, a musician is inherently looking for that blend.  Anything that is too loud means you are not blending.  Or, if you are, you can't tell.

Theoretically, I am sure many musicians get lost in worship from the pews.  It has happened to me.  I have a few emotionally flat churches or overly-amplified churches where I would like to see how you do in the pews. 

Views: 226

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm with Cory on one his comments. I'd just rather be playing. Our Worship Director doesn't play. I'm not sure she understands. Of course it's good that we let the "Youth" p & w team have one service a month. But I don't see it as "getting a break." Being in the band IS my break! [Am I out of line here?] When someone else is doing the music, I'm a "fish out of water."

There is nothing wrong with zeal to play. 

One of the implicit questions is, "is the Holy Spirit is the same in the pews as it is on the platform?" There are  youth PW bands and then there are youth PW bands.  Trying to break in a bunch of scared kids and give them time to find their place is an act of charity.  We have seen them inspire, but we have also seen them as objects of the gift of encouragement.  Charity is worship, but an entirely different kind.

The point is this, we want an experience of the Presence.  Not all worship experiences are alike and it isn't only about us when it isn't happening (either on the platform or in the pews).  

I wonder less about my own failings in this situation (and they are not trivial), and more about how to step into the Holy of Holies when the spirit in the room is charity, obedience, patience, longsuffering, but not ecstasy of the Presence.  You may need to do a work=around, because not everyone wants ecstasy or the Presence.  Not all Churches have the First Love or the Kingdom as their objective.  

Me too! I can't stomach the thought of being off on a given week.
The thing that you and I have to remember is that taking time off and allowing others to fill our spot is a good thing. :)
If we don't, we will be effectively just like old Mrs. McGillicutty who "owned" the organ, never discipling, never letting the rookie pitch in a clutch situation, never just never.

RSS

© 2020       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service