Do you personally like the music you find most effective for leading worship?

To what degree is your attraction to the music a criterion for selecting it for the congregation?

Do you lead in styles you don't particularly care for, and to what degree do you find yourself growing to love the music you once didn't like?  Is growing to like a song a regular process in your life?

Did the conflict of personal taste with community taste ever produce a crisis in your life, and how was it resolved, or was it resolved, and how did you grow from that?

Views: 1275

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Eight...  seven.... six.... five....  four....  three..... two... one.....................................

At first I was not sure which "Awesome God" you were talking about. At a previous congregation we had 3 songs by that title and Mullens' was the distant 3rd. The other 2 got used frequently with one we subtitled "Unmistakably" (black gospel) being used most frequently. And we never sung Mullens' verses either.

You do know that on some songs Mullens' assistant "Beaker" (no idea what his real name was) wrote the chorus and Mullens wrote the verses.   On "Step by Step" Beaker actually got composing credit for the chorus. I suspect Beaker wrote the chorus to "Awesome God" as well since it thematicly and style-wise has more in common with the "Step" chorus that most of the rest of Mullens' music.

I did not now that. "Step by Step" was also one of my favorite songs growing up (and still is).

I've heard Awesome God sung in many congregations and I have never encountered one that uses the verses.  

Long ago, a friend told me on "great authority" that it was common practice for small-time songwriters to sell not only their song but also the right to use their name as composer (the idea being that people would be more likely to buy the song with a famous name on the cover; today it's called 'marketing').  I've often wondered if that was true, or a legend inspired by jealousy.  Anyone acquainted with the business that knows? Do they still do that?  Or with recording so prevalent, do they need to?  (People often ask me to find a song, and they give me not the writer but the singer).

If you can get a whole congregation to sing "...he ain't puttin' on the Ritz" without rolling in the aisles, you're a better man than me... then again, some of my efforts have been weird.  I once rhymed something with "Lamborghini", but fortunately had the presence of mind to find a better rhyme before I sang it in public.

Lawdavmussy.

I've now got a picture in my mind of the verses of Awesome God being sung by Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, assisted by Beaker on the tambourine.

TOO FUNNY!!!!  LOL!!

LOL,ROTF!!

I don't know that one.  Is it "It's All About Me, lord?

In similar vein of mis-use of a song, a couple of weeks back we sang a song about shooting the wounded and pointing fingers (casting crowns?) that was being used to point fingers etc. Funny how songs so often do just what they tell us not to. At least the song was used in mp3 format, rather than being asked to play it (as they say about credit, please don't ask as a refusal often offends).

It's been a LONG time, Greg.

Toni -- by extension, any song that brings our behavior to attention has the potential for finger-pointing (consider the songs of Isaiah and Jeremiah - 'my people are lost; wild owls in the desert will honor God before they do', etc.).  That's what all the 'hate speech' flap is about.  Yet I do feel an uneasiness when I sing a verse as in 'Shout to the North' - "...rise up church, with broken wings / fill this house with praise again..."  All I am doing is echoing Isaiah, yet the pride within me says "really?  are my wings broken?  am I the guilty party?  did I make false treaties with natives?" -- and on an on the litany goes.  As much as I don't like singing such things, it's good to mouth them (Isaiah is mostly in song form, and all Scripture was once read aloud, not just contemplated in an easy chair).

RSS

© 2021       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service