Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever led worship using a double neck?  I think I probably hark back to the prog rock days, but as worship sets can tend to be a medley of songs all put together like a prog song anyway, is it something anyone has ever done, thought about doing or seen done?  It would certainly save having to change guitar mid set!   

It is something I have wondered about, and I always fancied playing one, but have never owned one, however I was at a church conference earlier this week and one of the guys there had an Epiphone 12/6 which I played for a while.  Probably no heavier than a 5 or 6 string bass.  He did say to me 'don't you dare play Stairway to Heaven'!  So I played Facedown by Matt Redman - very nice on the 12 string and then you can move to the 6 string for the chorus or bridge!  He indicated he had done a few worship sets using it.  

I know some people might think it is a bit too much like showmanship, but if most of us use several guitars, why not?  And if our bass player has several basses and changes depending on the song, and our keys player is using a variety of keyboards, why not?  (and I do know a few people who wonder why we need to change guitars at all as once it gets in the mix it gets lost anyway, and only a purist with a good ear might be able to tell the difference between a strat and a tele once there is a full band giving it their all!)  

Any thoughts anyone?     

Views: 448

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do not own a double neck but have looked at them. 

I remember a guy back when I was a kid (early '60s) leading a Singspiration (all day singing festival popular in classic pentecostal circles) from a triple neck SG. 6 string, 12 string and bass on the same body.  He had his name in mother of pearl in all 3 fretboards. Even at less than 10 years old I knew that that would kill the resale value.

Hey - can you get a double neck - an SG (or Paul Jr) and a Strat together?

I think it's a valid thought. The reason for Jimmy Page's invention was to cover more ground in one set. This "switchover" issue from one guitar type to another has also been addressed by various makers like Taylor by creating a "hybrid" guitar that plays in acoustic and electric territory. There are also attempts to make an electric sound like an acoustic by using an "acoustic simulator" as in the Boss AC3 which I tried and promptly returned. None of these solutions is ever ideal, but people are able to come to some pretty good compromises nonetheless.

What you're proposing is a perfectly legitimate solution to the age old problem of having only two hands. I hope you buy one and share your experiences with us!

I'd quite like to - nearly bought a doubleneck a few years back, but it wasn't great as an instrument. I'd not see it as terribly different from my Godin xtSA, other than simply being bigger and heavier (possibly better as a guitar). As for 'showmanship' I've happily used explorer types, flying Vs and stuff alongside more conventional strats and Les Pauls - non-guitarists don't generally see what you're actually playing. Just don't go 'throwing shapes' and all will be well.

I want this one:

I like your Photoshop work...

Seems to me that, with a suitable budget, appropriate carpentry and soldering skills, plus a willingness to tinker and experiment with that which is sacred, you should be able to make yourself one. 

I feel you also need to be able to say "Mwahahahahahahaaaa, I've created a monster" in an appropriate tone of voice.

I have built electrics before.  If I had the funds (which at present I do not) I would get a Strat and an SG and do the dastardly deed my self.

It would be a hoot to have such an animal!!

I think that if I wanted to switch between, say, a 6 and 12 string guitar mid-song, I'd rather go for the Variax approach, with modelling to simulate the sound. Otherwise you've got 18 strings to tune up and keep in tune and you are toting a very heavy, cumbersome instrument about.

If I had already had a double neck (I've only played a friends a few years ago) I guess I might find ways to make use of it but I'm not minded to seek one out.

Oh - I forgot to mention that. But that being said, I've never liked any 12 string simulator. Know of any? The ones I've heard are nothing more than an octave variation that sound ok with one note at a time but not 6 or even 2 or 3.

As far as I recall, the Variax one sounded okay but I'm basing that on a limited amount of playing some time ago. It probably doesn't match up to a (good quality and in tune) 12 string guitar but might do the job in the context of backing up a couple of worship songs as part of a larger band.

One of the great things about a 12 (from memory - not had one for a LONG time) is that you can vary the tone according to how you pick, selecting different strings etc. A part of what makes a Ric 12 sound different is that the octave courses are reversed, for example, and it alters how it sounds because of the natural approach to playing.

RSS

© 2021       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service