Has anyone come across some good new contemporary christmas songs or new arrangement of tranditionals that sound contemporary?

Views: 6392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Come Now Is The Time To Worship" with "Little Drummer Boy"
Some of my favourites include:

Christmas Offering and What Kind of Throne as mentioned by others, but I really like
Lord come this Christmas (Andy Park).
we have also used some of the songs from 'The Christmas Gift' (Graham Kendrick) although possibly a bit dated now (late 1980s I think)

And for some child friendly stuff how about:
Christmas, it's Christmas (Captain Alan Price)
and,
I love the lights on the Christmas Tree (also Captain Alan Price)
Ok new versions of songs, its great. However, changing or adding to songs that were not written by the person that wrote the song....HORRIBLE!!!!! I can't stand this! It is so annoying to be listening to the radio, and suddenly hear a song I think I know...only to find out that the lyrics have changed. I dont care if they pay for the rights, or ask permisson, its a bad Idea. A song is meant to reflect the writer or a thought or story in the writers head. Not a thought in some other Jon Wayes head that did not matter at the time the song was written. I am completely against this. Wanna write your own new christmas song? Sure I want to hear it because there is not enough out there. But write your own songs!!!!!

Now that I have said that, I would like to give you a few songs that I love
-Bebo Norman "Come and Worship"
-Shane Barnard "Born to Die"
-Mindy Smith "The Christmas Song"
-Hillsongs -"Angels we have heard on high/Gloria" medley
"James Taylor-"Go tell it on the mountain"
My all time favorite christmas song.....are ya ready............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Amy Grant "Tennessee Christmas"

Chad
Chris Tomlins "Glory in the Highest" album has a great contemporary version of "Angels we have heard on high" and "Joy to the world". Chord charts can be found on on this link:
http://www.praisecharts.com/detail/arrangement/9285

Hope that helps!
I think www.RESOUNDworship.org has already been mentioned - there's now 6 Christmas themed songs on there of various styles ranging from a simple 3 part round (Wonderful Counsellor) to up-tempo rock (We worship a wonderful Saviour), a quiet meditative one (You bring peace) and a more soul-ful 'Praise the God of grace and glory'. The two most popular ones ('What kind of throne' and 'On Christmas Day') also have full choir and orchestra versions.

Other than that... I've been loving Relient K's Christmas album 'Let it snow... let it reindeer', especially their punk versions of 'God rest you merry gentlemen' and 'Angels we have heard on high'. Definitely going to be using those this year!

God bless
Thanks for the info. I checked out Resound Worship's site and used Wonderful Counsellor last week. It's so simple, but really resonated with our congregation and was very well received.
yeh its great heather i totally agree!

cheers,
gav.
We're gonna play the Paul Baloche " Offering" Christmas version. I love Paul's heart. I want to be Paul when I grow up. But...that will never happen.
In a reactive mood a few years ago I wrote the follow song:

Jesus is the reason

B Bsus4 B Bm D
Are you caught up in the Christmas bargain shop?
Bm A G
Is that your worship this year?
B Bsus4 B Bm D
Well it’s not just the beer and excess
B Bsus4 B B2 G
Gods Son is sent so we are blessed

D A G
Jesus is the reason for Christmas
D A7sus D
A gift from God to everyone
D A G
Christ is the reason for the season
D A7sus G/B D
In our hearts lets keep him number one

B Bsus4 B B2 Bm D
What are you going to celebrate this Christmas?
Bm A G
What will you value this year?
B Bsus4 B Bm D
Please don’t forget what it is all about
B Bsus4 B G
So sing his name and let no-one doubt

D A G
Jesus is the reason for Christmas
D A7sus D
A gift from God to everyone
D A G
Christ is the reason for the season
D A7sus G/B D
In our hearts lets keep him number one

D Bm
Jesus is the reason
D A
Jesus is the reason
D Bm
Jesus is the reason
G A
He’s reason for the season
*2 then Chorus

I'm currently mixing a version that I will put up next week. It's more of a Radio song as the verses are talked. However, the bridge and chorus are very congregational.
I have now uploaded a mix of this song to my profile have a listen....

Find more music like this on Worship The Rock
Even though it's a few years old now, my favorite Christmas CD is Selah's. They have two I espescially like. Joy and Hallelujah. If you haven't heard those check them out.
One of my favorite Christmas songs I've stumbled upon recently is Winter Snow by Audrey Assad. I love the feeling of it and how mellow it is. It captures the feel of the song and provides an atmosphere I thoroughly enjoy as I relate that feeling with Christmas in general.

RSS

© 2021       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service