How often do you change your guitar strings?

I thought I would change my guitar strings at the weekend as I am leading a united church service next week.  I had forgotten how good a new set sounds! 

So I was wondering how often is an optimum time to change strings?

For the record, my last change was at the beginning of 2010, and I guess I was playing 2 hours/week until the summer holidays.

I will need to change more regularly from now on and I estimate I will be playing 3-4 hours/week.  I don't play hard, and rarely break them.  I use a Crafter guitar and my current strings are Rotosound Jumbo King Phospher Bronze Lights.  Coupled with the time to change a set (possibly an hour each time - usually cos I'm listening to the footie on the radio at the same time (that's soccer to you americans), and that it costs me around £6.00 each set, it is not something I can do every week!  (and if anyone says buy them via the Interweb, no way, as I like to support my local music shop; and there is no chance of my church contributing either).

So how often could you suggest a change? 

Views: 791

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not that I do this but I was told that changing them every few weeks is appropriate if you play a lot. Many "guitarists" rarely change their strings and some, dare I say many, don't even know how to change their strings. I liked Charles' comment about before a big gig. Tuning can be an issue with new strings, I just make sure I stretch them a lot before I play. Elixir strings really do last a whole lot longer but they take some getting use to. They feel slimy to me.
D'Addario EXP's are similar in life but feel less slimy. I switched from Elixirs and am liking them.
amen amen............i used to brake elixers super duper fast. i'd pop the g-string in 3 days. then the d 4 or 5 days after that. so i switched to d'addario's. ive been playing them for 5 years now and rarely brake strings, and they sound wonderful.
I'll third the EXPs. They're definitely worth the extra money in their sound and lifespan.
I have to change mine at least once a month. But, I live on a very hot and humid tropical island. My stings don't last as long as when I was living in Cali. I break a stink at least 2-3 times a year on stage. Drives me nuts, the whole guitar will go out of tune.
I hate when people "break a stink" on stage! :)
HAHAHA.... what an awesome typo.. thanks
can you say freudian slip
My wife always remarks on my smell when I step off stage. I just let it roll off like water off a duck...
Ha, that's brilliant..........giving me a good laugh before I go out to work : )

RSS

© 2022       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service