I just wrote this worship song for a sermon series we did on God's relentless grace. Every bit of this song came right out of the book of Jonah. A lot of the verses were formed out of Jonah's prayer in chaper 2 from inside the Fish. I wouldn't mind hearing what you think about this tune as a corporate worship song.

Views: 285

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I liked this more than I expected to... I'm the guy around here who hardly ever likes anything, so that's a compliment.  Two notes:

From the title "Relentless" I expected this to be a faster, driving song.  I realize that that word ties into your sermon series, but I'm not sure it's really the word that would work for our congregation.  Consider maybe "Unending."  Oddly enough, when I do a CCLI search, there are dozens of songs called "Relentless" already, none called just "Unending" that I could find!  I dunno, "relentless" feels too aggressive to me, a little too pushy.  "Unending" suggests God is always there for us, "Relentless" suggests more like, God expects us to always be there for him.  Both may be true, but one is more comforting than the other...

Second, the line about "though despising my shame" - consider rewriting that line so that its clear WHO despises the singer's shame (and maybe "despises" isn't even quite the right word) so that it's clear WHO it is that despises the singer's shame.  "though You despise my shame" or "though I come to You in shame."  The phrase, as written is a bit ambiguous and I think it would make the song stronger to make it clearer.  What did you mean by that line?

I definitely think it would make a good congregational singable song; might not go up quite so high on the vocals at the very end, would have to figure out what the range is.  Overall, I think it definitely works - it's focused, it's consistent in terms of referring to God as "You," it feels singable.  Nice recording, too, just not what I expected from the title.

What's your feeling on letting other churches use the song?  And if we were going to use it in our church, would you be okay with changing "Relentless" to "Unending" and what would you suggest for that one line? 

I am glad to hear that you liked it. 

For CCLI purposes I would make the title something to the effect of "Relentless" (Forever and Always). I like using relentless because the word relentless reminds me that God is incessantly loving me that He is jealous for me. So no matter how far I run or what circumstances  I put myself in like Jonah, God will find me where I am and extend His grace. I just like that the word relentless hits a nerve harder, it grabs your attention while unending feels like one of those words we hear all the time and (for some) we grow numb to its meaning we need to be reminded again and relentless hits that nerve in my opinion. 

The line "though despising my same" comes from Hebrew 12:2. "looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." Jesus despised the shame of the cross, the sin that put him there, our sin. The next line says it all though "Your love will never change" though He despised it yes but that didn't mean he didn't love us. He endured it anyways for us out of love. That line being ambiguous is good in my opinion. If the singer perceives the line as (though (Me) despising my shame) or (though You despised my shame) either works and will not effect the theology of the song. 

I wouldn't mind if other churches used the song. I have given it to a few of my worship leading friends to use. Lyric changing is fine with me. Worship leaders change lyrics all the time. I mean who hasn't changed "sloppy wet kiss"  

As for suggestions on that line, unending is not as easy to sing with that melody but thats coming from someone who has sung the word relentless 100's of times while doing the song. At this point it just feels natural to me and hearing anything else just sounds weird to my ears. Hope that helps. Thank You for the feedback I appreciate it. 

Greg, thanks for the response.  Sounds like you don't want the word "relentless" changed, but wouldn't mind a little tweaking elsewhere.  Will let you know if we decide to try it out.

I like listening to this song.  It has a sort of country-Tomlin-Wayne Watson sound to it.  I'm not a worship-leader, but I would not consider this one for group singing, but it seems more suitable for personal reflection while a group/band performs it.  I probably will listen to it a couple more times and see how it grows on me.  So far I enjoyed the vocals and general feel of the melody.  It doesn't strike me as unique, but it does have quality.  I prefer to read the lyrics when reviewing a song, so if you have a way to share the lyrics, let me (us) know.  

Love it, love it.  The song grabs me and that's a good sign.  As far as corporate worship, I'm not sure.  It's definitely catchy, but it's almost as if the song would do better as an artist song or as a special communion song rather a than 'worship time' song.  The octave jump in the melody makes me wonder...I could be completely wrong.

Anyway, great song.  Really enjoyed it and thanks for sharing it.

Steve

Hey thank you for all the feedback. Here are the lyrics to the song as requested. 

Verse: Your grace it finds me when,  I am in waters deep

When earth has buried me, You lift me to my feet

When the storms arise, When the darkness falls

You're quick to hear my call

When I've turned away though despising my shame

Your love will never change

Chorus: Relentless, Your grace Your love is

Relentless, so abounding, surrounding me

Relentless, forever and always

I love this song. I would love to have a soundtrack if you have one. Also check out Forever Our King on my page. I have a lead sheet and a full band arangement soundtrack I can send to you if you are interested.
God Bless You,
Lewis
Would be great if you could upload this song with the guitar chords. Hope to play and teach it in my cell group time. Many thanks.

Hey thanks for the comments. I have attached the chord chart you requested. I used numbers so you could play it in any key you wanted. 

Attachments:

When you ask for a sound track are you wanting a track with no vocals on it? 
Lewis Moore said:

I love this song. I would love to have a soundtrack if you have one. Also check out Forever Our King on my page. I have a lead sheet and a full band arangement soundtrack I can send to you if you are interested.
God Bless You,
Lewis
Yes

Greg Baggett said:

When you ask for a sound track are you wanting a track with no vocals on it? 
Lewis Moore said:

God Bless You,
Lewis

RSS

© 2022       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service