Should worship leaders be paid a salary, health care benefits, etc. , for the service they provide?

I have been a worship leader now going on only 4 years. I play acoustic guitar and sing. I pick the
songs, mentor the team members, recruit new team members, play funerals, baptisms, and other
special events, co lead mens ministry, as well as several other things. I was welcomed with open arms from the people here, but have never asked, nor offered a paid position. I have a full time job which I have hated as it sent me under the knife recently for major back surgery. I am now 3 months post surgery and have to go back to my job. I'm praying that God will
work something else out, and that maybe He will strike it in the hearts and minds of our congregation
to offer me something so I will not have to continue to break my back. I don't think I will be able to
continue to do both as it is ever apparent that with the new hardware that is in my back, it is a
tremendous burden to work two jobs. One paid, and one an offering. I don't know what to do. I haven't talked to the Pastor yet. I know that this kind of thing could surely have a dividing factor and I don't want that. Please pray for us.

Views: 2261

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How big is your church?  If you have 2 full time pastors, I am guessing you run the range of 100-150?  I am not sure that is a large enough church to justify a full time worship leader, but...you may consider taking on other roles within the church that are currently under staffed to justify an additional staff person.  I know in some cases the youth pastor is also the worship leader or the small groups/family pastor is also the worship leader.  I am full time in the business world...the way we justify a new person has to do with the return on investment.  At some level, the decisions around staffing may need to be viewed from a business sense as well as biblical perspective.  

Praying for your back situation - I can relate.

-Thorsten

11 years of leading, 3 services a week, over 200 funerals, 75 weddings and ive still never taken a cent.

Though I have wedding crashed a few ;)

Our church toyed with the idea of have a paid position, but in the end they found they couldn't afford it.  Oh well.  The advantage of being volunteer is that you're less likely to be fired, and no one can argue with you if you decide to resign.  I led off and on for eight years, and still fill in once a month.  What I did do now and then was to refer to myself as a "interim worship leader" until the church could hire a professional.  That kept everyone in the proper perspective.  I felt it was my role to hand over a healthy, well organized, musically tight ministry, focused on the Lord first for the day when I could hand over the job to the one who was to take over.  The one thing I also did say was "that if they were going to hire someone to lead, he/she better be better than me!"

But if it's too much, confide in your pastor.  If you get grief, quit now.  Guilt is unhealthy and breeds bitterness.

Brad

RSS

© 2022       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service