There is so much talk about this and that aspect of music with words, notes and such; but I sometimes miss singing in the Spirit (having moved to a church which uses music with chords and notes pretty much all the time).  At one time it occurred almost weekly in the church I attended (and encouraged it as music leader and pianist).

Does this aspect of worship occur in any of your churches -- the singing which rises from among a people in prayer, usually softly at first, then making a crescendo with beautiful harmonics as if a great harp is playing, voices rising to God, with words known and unknown, or simply tones.  Does this wonderful type of worship still exist?

Views: 195

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This happens often in our worship times although I have found it depends greatly on the church background of the congregation ( I often lead in inter-denominational settings). It is a balance as a worship leader as some will be engaging with that form of 'free' worship whereas others will seem to be waiting for the song to kick back in (difficult to read body language, as in you can still be engaging with God even though you may not be singing).

We will often just go through the main intro/turn around of the song at the end of the song and see whether God stirs us up to sing out a new song, usually I would let this run for a bit to see where it goes and then finish off with the chorus of the song we'd just done.

Yes, Greg, we still have those inspired moments from time to time.

Al Hilgendorf

www.everydaypraise.com

Yes, but not enough, and nothing like it did at one time.

It is as though people have forgotten how to move in spiritual gifts in both this and other areas. I also believe 'our' charismatic generation have failed to pass on the fire that made us burn to the next generation, and in many cases have gone a bit cold ourselves.

That's a really interesting reply Toni, and made me think of the first disciples and what would have happened if they had failed to pass on the Good News and the gifts of the Spirit!

Toni said:

It is as though people have forgotten how to move in spiritual gifts in both this and other areas. I also believe 'our' charismatic generation have failed to pass on the fire that made us burn to the next generation, and in many cases have gone a bit cold ourselves.

In answer to your question Greg, yes, this wonderful type of worship most definitely still exists.

Not in our home church, heaven forbid, but in other churches that I lead worship in, where it comes very natural. As a worship leader you do need to be very sensitive to the prompting of the Spirit and to when this type of worship is fitting.  

It is my belief we need to bring an excitement to the altar...anticipation...faith...I have lyrics for these songs...please give a listen to..

The Congregation's Prayer - Piano and Tuba First Verse - Piano and Piano second verse.

The CONGREGATION’S PRAYER

by M. Monson

Dear Lord, our heavenly Father,

From Your Word our hearts will speak,

On the byways and the highways,

In the valleys dark and deep.

Boldly stepping out with Jesus,

Seeking both the strong and weak.

Calling for the lost and lonely.

Going forth to find the sheep.

(1st Refrain)

Calling to Your sons and daughters,

Saying children, come to me.

Come to the Spring of Living Waters,

Where your blessed eyes will see.

What You want is our desire.

From the desert to the mountains

Fill us up with heaven’s fire.

Testifying to the children,

With Your wind the flames will leap.

Quoting verses from the scriptures,

Going forth to feed the sheep.

(2nd Refrain)

Quoting to Your sons and daughters,

Saying children, you I seek.

Where your blessed tongues will speak.

Spread this urgent message on,

Across the rivers, land, and sky,

Where the borders lie beyond.

Gifts we carry from the Spirit,

Gifts too marvelous to keep.

Sharing Jesus with the nations,

Going forth to lead the sheep.

(3rd Refrain)

Sharing with Your sons and daughters,

Sharing as we gather near.

Where your blessed ears will hear.

Attachments:

The charismatic fellowship I ministered in most of my life did a survey a few years back and found that only 25% of its members were actively charismatic, no longer praying, speaking or singing in the Spirit, or simply had not ever.  But I am encouraged by the responses I have read to know that the flame is still burning.

Toni said:

Praise the Lord!  Thanks, Mavis, for your example of creativity amid the Spirit's blessings.

Mavis Monson said:

It is my belief we need to bring an excitement to the altar...anticipation...faith...I have lyrics for these songs...please give a listen to..

The Congregation's Prayer - Piano and Tuba First Verse - Piano and Piano second verse.

The CONGREGATION’S PRAYER

by M. Monson

From Your Word our hearts will speak,

On the byways and the highways,

In the valleys dark and deep.

Boldly stepping out with Jesus,

Seeking both the strong and weak.

Calling for the lost and lonely.

Going forth to find the sheep.

(1st Refrain)

Calling to Your sons and daughters,

Saying children, come to me.

Where your blessed eyes will see.

What You want is our desire.

From the desert to the mountains

Fill us up with heaven’s fire.

Testifying to the children,

With Your wind the flames will leap.

Quoting verses from the scriptures,

Going forth to feed the sheep.

(2nd Refrain)

Quoting to Your sons and daughters,

Saying children, you I seek.

Where your blessed tongues will speak.

Spread this urgent message on,

Across the rivers, land, and sky,

Where the borders lie beyond.

Gifts we carry from the Spirit,

Gifts too marvelous to keep.

Sharing Jesus with the nations,

Going forth to lead the sheep.

(3rd Refrain)

Sharing with Your sons and daughters,

Sharing as we gather near.

Where your blessed ears will hear.

Hey Greg

Love your heart to share your experiences man!  :)  

This is a wonderful thing to experience with a congregatation and the Lord.  I have experienced this and it is something that stirs my heart up so much.  I have noticed that if the main part of the church needs coaching to sing together it's always a good thing to inspire that unity always.  There are times when guests from another church come that have testimonies that are filled with deep love and appreciation for God and in the service i have heard the sound of the church rise up way more than our usual because of different believers gathered together and took it to a spontaneous setting in a very natural way amongst our weekly church goers.     

If you aren't experiencing it at your church my encouragement to you is to continue to focus on him and worship him with the love in your heart to Jesus Christ at the church you attend.  Also visit other worship circles if possible or revisit the other church that flows in that setting and enjoy his presence like that.  It sounds like you are experiencing these things and that you are hungry to cultivate that.  What an awesome journey bro. :)

RSS

© 2021       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service