The following article is taken from the Christian Institute Website (http://www.christian.org.uk/news/20090212/teacher-scolds-girl-5-for...) and is reported on the Devon part of the BBC site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7885952.stm today 12 Feb 2009) I think it is shocking lets discuss it.

A five-year-old girl from Devon was left in tears after her teacher reprimanded her for talking about Jesus in class – and her mummy could be facing the sack.

The girl’s mother, who works part-time at the school, is being investigated by governors because she emailed friends at church asking them to pray about her daughter’s situation.

Mrs Jennie Cain is being supported by The Christian Institute’s legal defence fund.

The head teacher at the school, Mr Gary Read, learnt about the prayer request after he got hold of a private email sent by Mrs Cain from home using her personal email account.

He would not tell the 38-year-old mother of two how he got a copy of her personal email, but he told her she was being investigated for misconduct.

Mrs Cain said: “I felt embarrassed that a private prayer email was read by the school – it felt like someone had gone through my personal prayer diary.

“I feel my beliefs are so central to who I am, are such a part of my children’s life.

“I do feel our beliefs haven’t been respected and I don’t feel I have been treated fairly. I don’t know what I am supposed to have done wrong.”

On 22 January Mrs Cain went to pick up her children from the 275-strong Landscore Primary School in Crediton, Devon.

Earlier that day her daughter, Jasmine, had been overheard by a teacher discussing heaven and God with a friend. The teacher took the five-year-old to one side and told her off.

Mrs Cain said that when she picked her children up from school, “my daughter burst into tears, her face was all red and she was clearly upset.

“She said ‘my teacher told me I couldn’t talk about Jesus’ – I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

“She said she was taken aside in the classroom and told she couldn’t say that. I was so shocked, I didn’t know what to do.”

The next day Mrs Cain was called into Mr Read’s office over another matter before he started discussing her daughter, Jasmine.

“He started talking about my daughter about how he wasn’t happy about her making statements about her faith.

“At that point I froze, I felt very small and I felt trapped as I was a junior member of staff.”

That weekend, she emailed a prayer request from her personal computer at home to ten trusted friends from her church.

“I asked them to please pray for us, please pray for Jasmine, please pray for the school and pray for the church.”

A few days later she was called back into Mr Read’s office.

“I didn’t think at this point I could be more stunned. He had in his hand a copy of my private, personal email and it was highlighted all the way through.

“He said that he was going to investigate me for professional misconduct because I had been making allegations about the school and staff to members of the public.”

Mrs Cain, who was not suspended, said he refused to tell her where he had got the email but said two independent governors would be taking statements and calling witnesses.

“He said the investigation could be followed by disciplinary action up to and including dismissal because of this private email.”

The Christian Institute’s Mike Judge said: “I thought I had heard it all when I learned a nurse had been suspended for offering to pray for a patient.

“But now a five-year-old girl and her mother have been slammed for nothing more than expressing their Christian faith.

“I am particularly concerned about the way in which Mrs Cain’s private email to her church friends ended up in the hands of the head teacher.

“This is the latest in a series of cases where Christians are being persecuted for their religious beliefs. It is really getting to a point where it has to stop.”

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Persecution is coming! It happens all the time. I wonder what will happen to the Christians in the United States when it starts happening more and more. So many are luke warm believers that I believe that most will walk away from the faith for the sake of living a comfortable life.
yeah persecution is coming but we should not take it lying down. we have to stand firm in our faith and be prepared for it. I am always cheered on when I see people who are being persecuted being stronger (for example in countries where Chrisitianity is illegal there are more Christians that you would imagine, look at China). I doesn't cheer me up the fact that they are being persecuted just the fact that they are growing rapidly in Faith. What do people think?
I go to the word before I make a comment and the first scripture that came to mind was
2 Tim. 3: 12 all that live a Godly life shall suffer persecution. I agree with you Frank that those who are in highly persecuted countries are becoming stronger in the faith. this may sound strange,but I'm encourage when I read letters from brothers & sisters who stand for Christ . I have to ask myself when it starts to come down in the USA will I be strong enough to do the same and I don't know.

in our little town there is a petition against the stimulus package and to my surprize hundreds
have signed it. I hope the goverment doesn't over look it like so many other issues we the people
stand against.
It annoyed me that her PRIVATE email was sent to her boss and how come and why does a private thing have to be brought up and cause he to be disaplined in this way. Come on People lets discuss it, I really want to see your views no matter what they are.

There will be no persecution from me :)
Today only after reading this I knew really so much depressing.Actually few days back I read one testimony in which I knew that now a days the devil will be more active .In what way he will come no one knows.devils trembles in the name of Jesus.What we have to do keep faith on Lord in every situation and kneel down in prayer.Upto the end we have to be faithful with patience and love for each other delivering all our thing to Lord Jesus.
I think that it is awful that this girl and mother are being persecuted for their faith. And I agree, it is coming to the US. I have chosen to homeschool my kids, for religious reasons and academic reasons. We have tried to protect our kids, not neccessarily from persecution, but from the government influence. I had asked my mom (who is a Christian) recently if she could/would keep her faith inspite of persecution. She said that she didn't think she would. I think that is sad. I think that God is calling us out. Calling out those who really believe. He doesn't want us to be passive and lukewarm any more. I see this everyday.
For example, today the stimulus package is looking like it will pass. How many of us have called our senators to tell them our rejection of the stimulus package? Or signed a petition? This stimulus package will take away some of our faith based programs, will take faith based programs out of the school, will kill numerous babies, will further destroy families by taking children from their parents, and won't give us many more jobs. It will destroy some of our American values that we have come to depend on. But, praise God, although it may change how we worship and where we worship, it will not take away our worship unless we let it.
Romans 8:35 (New International Version)
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?

I have been reading the Jesus Freak Book for a devotional to my 7th grade World History class because I feel that our kids, our young Christian kids need to know that persecution is real and that even children can be persecuted for their faith. I am fortunate to teach for a Christian School here in California, but I don't think America will be immune much longer to this type of persecution.
I will pray right now for this young family to keep the faith, to cling to the hope that they have in Christ Jesus.
If you can keep us posted on how this turns out.

RSS

© 2020       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service