Hi, I'm Andy, relatively new here.

I'm doing a blog on the 100 Best Modern Worship Songs, and I wanted to gauge interest to see if anyone here would like to submit their lists. I've emailed Phil and he said it was OK to post this here

My hope is to get the opinions of a host of knowledgeable people, and then I can post my findings on my blog and my visitors can see how it compares.

To understand what constitutes 'modern worship', you can read the 'Critieria' tab on my blog. Essentially, I loosely see modern worship as beginning with the Cutting Edge CDs by Delirious, but there's some wiggle room.

Anyway, just post below if you'd be interested, or have any opinions. Thanks.

You can just click the picture below (I think) to go to the site:

http://bestmodernworship.blogspot.com/p/wtrbest100.html

Views: 911

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Right, let's get this started :-)

How Great is Our God - Chris Tomlin

I think I'd have to add 'This is my desire' by Reuben Morgan too.

Wiggle room?

Jesus, we enthrone you.

Wiggle room? No, not enough. I listen to that song and it sounds exactly what I would call pre-modern worship, just before the sort of worship explosion.
Please note, that says nothing about the quality of the song, but rather it says that the song doesn't qualify under my rather arbitrary definition.

I addressed this very thing on my blog, in a post entitled '20th Century Worship'. I even made a video to highlight some of the pre-2000 worship songs. Some of these songs qualify and made the top 100 list, some didn't. As I said, 'arbitrary'.

https://youtu.be/h6PnHdb0hMY

Some classics in that video Andy - making me feel old!

I'm adding these to the list:

I could sing of your love forever - Martin Smith

Open the eyes of my heart - Paul Baloche

So far so good, Phil - all the songs you mentioned are on the top 100. Most of them I haven't gotten to, because they are much higher on the list.

'This is My Desire' is actually called 'I Give You My Heart' by Reuben Morgan. The Jeff Deyo version is song #77, identified in my picture above. (unless there is another song called 'This is My Desire'). In researching for my post this week, I think it was Wikipedia where it said it is sometimes called 'This is My Desire' and also sometimes called 'LORD, I Give You My Heart'.

Sometimes Sonicflood changed the original names of songs, so who knows. ('In the Secret' became 'I Want to Know You', etc).

Hi Andy,

I read the blog and the criteria. I'm assuming you haven't posted the complete list yet but are counting down? And are you wanting our suggestions for your list or just a list of our own? Or do you want a few songs that we would include on that list so as to compare or do you want a full 100 songs? And is 'Hungry' on your list? That, to me, was a game changing song.

al

www.everydaypraise.com

Al,

Yes, I'm just counting down. My list is done. I suppose I could've just posted my list, but my blog is my creative outlet. It started out slow with just my friends, but it's been picking up. I even got tweeted by a semi-celebrity:

So, now that I have a much bigger following than I ever thought, I was thinking I'd like to have another list to compare to my own. My hope was that dozens would come here and give me their lists, I would compile them, and then I'd have a tab on my blog called 'Worship the Rock Top 50" or something like that.

Now, reading what you and Phil wrote, I wish even more that this community would give their input. When I think of 'best ever' I think of great songs that are also 'game changers' as you put it. My list so far has a bunch of great songs, but as we get nearer the top, it will for the most part be only the classics of the classics.

It seems to me that you and Phil have hit it on the head. The songs you mentioned are almost all top 20 type songs, which means that you guys sort of 'get it'. I imagine that if the main community here engaged in this and gave me their group input, we'd have a really darn good list, given the knowledge level here.

As far as what others could do, I could deal with any number of songs. I'm a math and excel guy, so I can make it work if someone gives me their top 10, and someone else their top 25, or even top 100 (though I don't expect anyone to go that far). Hopefully people will read this and chime in.

Oh, by the way, in this post for song #90 "Your Name is Holy", I listed my top 5 modern worship albums, and made the case that 'Hungry' is the "Sgt Pepper's" of worship albums and the #1 worship album ever.

http://bestmodernworship.blogspot.com/2014/12/90-your-name-is-holy-...

Let me know if you want to participate, I've got plenty of time.

Thanks for clearing that up, Andy. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time. That's why compiling a list of 100 songs would be difficult for me, but throwing out a top ten list might be a little easier. Even then, putting them in any kind of order would be rough.  Although, I think 'God of Wonders' would easily be #1.  To me, it contains everything a perfect worship song should embody. IMO  Fun stuff!

al

www.everydaypraise.com

'Hungry' is indeed a classic!

Andy Prosseda said:

Al,

Yes, I'm just counting down. My list is done. I suppose I could've just posted my list, but my blog is my creative outlet. It started out slow with just my friends, but it's been picking up. I even got tweeted by a semi-celebrity:

So, now that I have a much bigger following than I ever thought, I was thinking I'd like to have another list to compare to my own. My hope was that dozens would come here and give me their lists, I would compile them, and then I'd have a tab on my blog called 'Worship the Rock Top 50" or something like that.

Now, reading what you and Phil wrote, I wish even more that this community would give their input. When I think of 'best ever' I think of great songs that are also 'game changers' as you put it. My list so far has a bunch of great songs, but as we get nearer the top, it will for the most part be only the classics of the classics.

It seems to me that you and Phil have hit it on the head. The songs you mentioned are almost all top 20 type songs, which means that you guys sort of 'get it'. I imagine that if the main community here engaged in this and gave me their group input, we'd have a really darn good list, given the knowledge level here.

As far as what others could do, I could deal with any number of songs. I'm a math and excel guy, so I can make it work if someone gives me their top 10, and someone else their top 25, or even top 100 (though I don't expect anyone to go that far). Hopefully people will read this and chime in.

Oh, by the way, in this post for song #90 "Your Name is Holy", I listed my top 5 modern worship albums, and made the case that 'Hungry' is the "Sgt Pepper's" of worship albums and the #1 worship album ever.

http://bestmodernworship.blogspot.com/2014/12/90-your-name-is-holy-...

Let me know if you want to participate, I've got plenty of time.

so many great new ones and great classics....

Refiner's Fire - 

Forever - 

Pour Out Your Heart

Create In Me A Clean Heart

Father, I Want You To Hold Me

Above All

Because of You

Blessed Be Your Name

Heart of Worship

Breathe

Come Now Is The Time

Faithful One