"The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverse mouth I hate. " Proverbs 8:13
Understanding the verse:
HATE EVIL- is something morally wrong, that affect the life or creates disorder in the world, and is opposed to good.
PRIDE- is a proud "closeted." Pride was born in the heart of Lucifer, and this led to his downfall. This sin is present in humans. This human being who can see the pride on the other, and never in itself. Because it's a subtle sin, we must take care of. Subtle, because someone might want to take pride in being good, to pray daily and so on. Those who fight on the strength of his arm to solve their problems, even though they need God, are also superb
ARROGANCE- it's a pride in visible way, or explicit, through their actions or words. It's that person who despises or disparage others. The arrogant are those who have an exaggerated concept of himself.
THE EVIL WAY- way is presented in the Bible as a conduct of life followed by someone. The evil way is the way of perdition, of disobedience. Who dictates the way you have been?
PERVERSE MOUTH- we know from the Bible, which will realize everything we say on the Day of Judgement (Matt 12: 36). Perverse mouth is an evil person who speaks without thinking, which makes misuse of his tongue (James 3: 6). These are people who speak for evil, speak to hurt, criticize, grumble ... SO THAT PEOPLE DO, has shown no fear of God.
"And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell." James 3:6
Conclusion: Do you fear God? How have you been living these days? The text of Psalm begins by saying that fear the Lord is to hate (hate) evil, pride, arrogance and the evil way and perverse. If you want to from now fear God, the Lord says: "Who is the man that fears the Lord? Him shall He teach in the way He chooses." Psalm 25:12
Consequences of Fear of God in the Life of a Christian
- keep us away from sin- "And to man He said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, And to depart from evil is understanding. " Job 28:28
-Make us Holy -"Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. " 2 Corinthians 7:1
- It gives us an understanding of God's Presence in All Times. As in Psalm 139 , the fear of the Lord makes us understand that he is with us all the time and seeing everything we do. We can't hide anything!
- The Fear of the Lord brings the consolation of the Holy Spirit-"Then the churches throughout all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had peace and were edified. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, they were multiplied."Acts 9:31.
- Who has the fear of God acknowledges him as an authority above him-"But the former governors who were before me laid burdens on the people, and took from them bread and wine, besides forty shekels of silver. Yes, even their servants bore rule over the people, but I did not do so, because of the fear of God. "Nehemiah 5:15
- Who has the fear of God is willing to obey Him-"Fools mock at sin, But among the upright there is favor. "Proverbs 14:9
Rewards for those who fear God
-Long Life- "The fear of the Lord prolongs days, But the years of the wicked will be shortened. " Proverbs 10:27
- Deliverance from evil, Abundant Life and Personal Satisfaction- "The fear of the Lord leads to life, And he who has it will abide in satisfaction; He will not be visited with evil. "Proverbs 19:23
- Riches, Honour and Life-"By humility and the fear of the Lord Are riches and honor and life. "Proverbs 22:4
– Intimacy with God- “The secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him, And He will show them His covenant. " Psalm 25:14