I'm going to start creating articles or blog posts and thought it would be fun to have a 'Top 10' series.

So if you're up for it, please help me out with this one by posting some worship leading 'myths' - and yes they can be funny as well as true :-)

I'll pick the best 10 and put them into an article, or blog post so please only share them if you're willing for them to reused and reprinted.

This should be fun!

Phil

Update (09/09/09): I've just published the '101 Worship Leader myths' on the new Worship The Rock blog - enjoy!

Views: 793

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL!!!!
Yeah, It used to by Martin Guitars but the glory has since been lifted off and now rests on the Taylor's!!! LOL! Again, funny!
No, the glory is back. They are on equal footing with Taylor now. The HD28s that have been around for the past 2-3 years are phenomenal. I think God is happy with them again.
but it's man made and not inspired by God. it's just a high end acoustic guitar. it's and excellent instructment for a pro $$$$$$.
Any excellent piece of art and craftsmanship is inspired by God, even if imperfect. When we create beautiful things, we're imitating our creator and there's no more natural form of worship. How much more fitting if one of his redeemed ones is doing that work.
If the tempo is dragging or rushing, it's ALWAYS the drummer's fault.
Ummm - if the drummer nad the bass player are the backbone of the band - and they use a metronome - then why if the tempo changes would it NOT be the drummer? Recognizing that other instruments/vocalists may struggle keeping with the drummer if they are not used to it or used to playing with a metronome - but why would the DRUMMER change tempos EVER unless instructed by the lead vocalist or the worship leader...so if the tempo changes - in all honesty I believe it IS the drummer because they should not change their tempo to match a vocal or another instrument that lags behind or pushes the rythm....they should remain rock steady and insist the others either play with an in ear monitor so they can also hear the metronome - or definitley stand near the drums so they can sing along to the beat.....

I use a metronome with my band because of tempos when I came on board that were just ridiculous. They would play every song like it was a freight train going down the tracks...just horendous. It took them a while and they didn't like it at first but now every one has learned to set tempos with the drummer and then follow him as he uses the mt=etronome. It works...
PC, sometimes (chalk it up to nerves, plugged ears, a missed beat, panic, whatever) instrumentalists enter their own world and play their own tempo - regardless of the drums or the rest of the band. If they are less experienced and/or oblivious to what the drummer is doing, it would be wrong for the drummer to insist on playing the song a quarter beat behind while the less experienced player charges on.
Of course, it's the exception and not the rule - and if it happens repeatedly, you've got to address it.
But a lot of times, especially in smaller churches, "accidents happen." You just roll with it and make the best of it.
I agree with Dan though! It is often the drummer's "fault" but occasionally not!
Ah yes, you too have been "mythified" by this myth. My worship team (which I am not the leader), does not like the idea of a metronome. Most of the time, the bass player is a guitar player asked to fill in as a bass player, so the bass player doesn't necessarily hold down the rhythm. That's another myth that any good guitarist is a master bassist by default.

Anyway, in my case, usually the worship leader might start a song at a specific tempo with guitar, this tempo is usually much faster than rehearsed due to the adrenaline factor. The whole song is ready to fall apart at the seems. The lead singer may come in and slows down the tempo drastically. It's kind of felt that the drummer needs to accommodate the singer or worship leader and not be the metronome. The job of metronome is then taken away from the drummer. This has happened many times in my experience. I guess the drummer needs to put his/her foot down (literally) and force the tempo. Then when I as drummer have tried this, the worship leader gets on me for going to slow or fast even if I am following a metronome that a tempo was agreed upon five minutes earlier. No matter what happens either way, it all of a sudden becomes the drummer's fault if a song went to fast or slow.

Dan
One of the great mysteries I've observed is how few drummers, being people of rhythm, can produce splendid beat patterns but do not know how to slow down/speed up w the flow of the vocal cadences, breaths and expressive pauses of the worship leader. Any keyboardist or guitarist worth his salt can do this; why not drummers?
The drummer is not the leader. It is a matter of basic, elementary musicianship for the percussionist, and all instrumentalists, to be able to respond to the flow of the music, and color it with their expertise.

To be fair -- a drummer does have a double role: as matrix-producer (creator of a steady, followowable beat) and of servant to the Body of worship leaders. Thus he/she is leader and follower simultaneously. This is also true when a keyboarfdist or guitarist is leading.

How, then, can we produce ANYTHING without a catfight?

Love, brother. Love. Love.
very good on the metronome usage. if you have a drummer that can not hold that groove and you have no other drummer bring him to basics or get him lessons on theory. it's important that the drummer holds it tight. if you're not a natural in music and want to help lead in song and praise worship, work in studying standard basics. there's a lesson in every bar of a song - study it. as a bass player, i found that most drummers are off in their own world, so i consider that drummer inexperienced in the rhythmics aspect of the song. i always have to look for open doors to work with them. basics is always a good thing to fall back on.
God bless and love your drummer! jose
p.s. if possible count the beat of the song out in the begining of the song in which ever way, that works for the team.

RSS

© 2020       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service