let's see if we can compile a common list of the top ten things that drive us completely nuts....

Views: 1174

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I I had one of those congregational taborine player with no rhythm!!!! ugh!!!
lol!..that's a good one!
While a missionary in the UK, we would get people now and then who would bring their tambourine to church and would want to play it during worship. And yes, off the beat! It was a definite distraction .We also would have people who wanted to dance during the service! We would have to almost wrestle the person to the ground (ha ha, an exaggeration) and let them know the boundaries in our church. My husband was the Pastor so we would talk about it at home. It's funny to me now. We had some real doozies come in our church in those early years.
I, on the other hand, would love to see people break out in dance. We had 4 young girls (4-6 year olds) who used to dance to the worship music. It brought me such joy to watch it as we played. I've been in churches where this would occasionally take place with adults and it was a joyful time of worship and celebration.
I guess it's what is expected in each particular church and what would be a distraction. For us, it was all about letting love be the deciding factor in all we did and if it was a distraction then we would encourage people to dance at home but in Church we need to defer to what leads to mutual edification. When you plant a church you can't control the kind of people who come through your doors. We had alot of conservative Christians come through and some Charismatics. It was an unusual mix of two opposite camps but they loved hearing the Word taught in a clear expositional way and got along with each other. With this mix we had to be careful that we did not stumble each other in our liberties. It worked! But I agree, I too would see some 2 to 4 year olds dance in front of their seats during worship and it would bless me.
1. Team members who think they don't need to come to practice and then expect to play no matter what.
2. Team members who don't look to you for cues.
3. Unenthusiastic worshipers.
4. Adults spending the worship time talking/laughing with their neighbor as everyone is worshipping.
5. Songs that work during practice but fall apart during service.
6. Sound techs with eyes closed during the worship time unaware of you trying to get their attention.
7. People with no known rhythm playing bongos or other hand held drums. Tambourines don't bother me now, I have learned to tune them out.
8. A musician who may be better than me always talking over my head musically - let's keep it simple.
9. Requesting songs during the worship time.
10. Guitar players who think they can't be heard and turn themselves up louder than everyone else combined.
It's already been invented. It's called "memory" and playing by ear. I use it just about every Sunday! :-)
Let's see how long it takes you to memorize a book that's a foot thick.
Offhand, my experience is that the average person in the congregation has memorized the lyrics of about 30-50 worship songs. They can sing them from memory without prompts (if put under enough pressure, that is). :) So I'd expect that musicians can manage the chords for at least that many as well, if they learn chord progressions and all that. :)
Especially as most worship songs involve the I, IV, V, and VIm chords, and sometimes a IIm. E.g. if you decide to play in E, the chords you get to choose from are

E, A, B, C#m and maybe F#m

(Other keys can be figured out the same way.)

PS.
If you don't know what this means... FIND OUT! It will save you from ever having to memorize a book thats a foot thick. :-) Teach your ears (Thank you Cathy), and you're off and running.
Or because you are good.

Some people have those kinds of chops. Others don't.
I have a ton of songs in my memory. The problem is trying to not mix them all up!! What if the leader doesn't play the music? How would they know right off hand what key to tell the band?

RSS

© 2021       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service