Hi,

Something I having been wondering about for some time now and prompted by a reply in another discussion.

I would consider myself to be charismatic, but you know, thinking about it, I am not entirely sure why? Or, if I am actually charismatic.

What defines 'a charismatic' or 'to be charismatic'? What is charismatic worship?..............

Thanking you. Lorraine

Views: 1128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yuk yuk yuk.

Here's another avenue on the subject:

We get what we know about God from two sources:  The written Bible, and from the world around us (see Psalm 19).  To believe in the Son of God does not require any knowledge whatever of the Bible; but it is "useful" to know about things (doctrine) and to help us do things right (reproof).  Very, very useful.

The Bible is only a collection of interesting history, poetry and philosophy unless we understand that it is to be applied to ourselves.  Every revival or reformation throughout history has had that "new" insight:  you gotta live it, or it don't mean a thing.  (Jesus said that, too, at the end of the Sermon on the Mount).

The New Testament gives us a window into actual, operating Christian churches, to whom a real Paul (or James or John) wrote real letters, and before that a real Jesus spoke to real crowds and healed real lepers.

The New Testament writings address church life and worship in the present tense.  Pentecostal thought asks the question, "what does this mean in actual life, now?  Is this writing more than words, or does it represent actual, tangible activity by God's spirit, both in our personal self (viz. Galatians 5:22) and in doing those things that Jesus promised His disciples would do?

The snake-handler, as much as we laugh at his bizarre behavior, is actually only seeing if Mark 16 is substance or symbol.  Those "Followers of Christ" families who are going in for long prison terms for the deaths of their children sincerely believed that the earnest prayer of the righteous availed much, and was a better thing to do than to trust their offspring to the pharmacoepia in which the world places its trust (medical care is about double tithe over here).

Ooh, I see we have another spammer on the site who has slipped throught the net. She/he will probably be gone before anyone reads this.

Why do they always say the same things and why do they always have flowers on their avatar photo?

Do you mean Pascalina? Interesting. Do you see a post somewhere? I just see a bunch of comments being left to people.

That's the one. No posts, just loads of comments on people's profiles. I can't resist taking a peak though to see what is wrtten in the comments.

Yea, that one is interesting. Those must be requests for money.

nice...concise...accurate...

Wulf Forrester-Barker said:

A definition needs to be broader than just Pentecostals. The broadest definition I can think of is that a charismatic is someone who believes God works in the contemporary world through all the gifts mentioned in the New Testament. More specifically, there tends to be an emphasis on "sign gifts" (the kind of things that aren't easily confused with learned skills).

Charismatic worship would be worship in which God's gift to his church are used (pick your definition from one of the two above).

Wulf

for me...'Charismatic' in terms of 'worship', which is what we generally apply the term to...defines 'how' i worship Jesus.

to be led by the Holy Spirit, rather than a 'set list' or chord chart.

to seek the Presence of the Holy Spirit, rather than audience 'engagement'.

to enter into...to dwell in...to operate in...the Anointing of the Holy Spirit...according to the mantle of gifting on deposit in our lives.

to realize that we can do nothing in our own skills or talents, and that ANY power or effectiveness as worshippers or worship leaders is only through the Holy Spirit... not talent or skills or personality... not sound system or lighting... not music genre or style or set list.

so then...'Charismatic worship' means being Holy Spirit... sensitive... obedient... welcoming... understanding... flowing... dwelling... following... DESIRING!

Forgot I ever posted this discussion as it was a few years back and as usual when old posts appear, it made me ponder.  

Wulf, I agree with Randy, a good answer.

Very inspiring reply Randy.  For me, if leading worship were to do with my personality then I wouldn't be doing it at all.  I totally rely on God and prayer, and another thing I always do is ask the Holy Spirit to come into the music.

I think what I am trying to say is that I am a quiet, not in your face person by nature, but when given the opportunity to worship freely will come alive by God's grace and the presence and inspiration of the Spirit.

Randy Arnold said:

for me...'Charismatic' in terms of 'worship', which is what we generally apply the term to...defines 'how' i worship Jesus.

to enter into...to dwell in...to operate in...the Anointing of the Holy Spirit...according to the mantle of gifting on deposit in our lives.

to realize that we can do nothing in our own skills or talents, and that ANY power or effectiveness as worshippers or worship leaders is only through the Holy Spirit... not talent or skills or personality... not sound system or lighting... not music genre or style or set list.

so then...'Charismatic worship' means being Holy Spirit... sensitive... obedient... welcoming... understanding... flowing... dwelling... following... DESIRING!

yeah...me too...i remember a worship team member hearing me play drums for the first time... 'you always gotta look out for the quiet ones!'

Lorraine Doswell said:

Very inspiring reply Randy.  For me, if leading worship were to do with my personality then I wouldn't be doing it at all.  I totally rely on God and prayer, and another thing I always do is ask the Holy Spirit to come into the music.

I think what I am trying to say is that I am a quiet, not in your face person by nature, but when given the opportunity to worship freely will come alive by God's grace and the presence and inspiration of the Spirit.

Randy Arnold said:

Splendid definition, Randy!  The word "charismatic" has unfortunately gained a sub-definition which describes a person as having an attractive and compelling spirit, and is often associated with leaders who get these Alpha-type abilities and their own egos mixed up (you see the term a lot in politics and business).  But no matter how much we want to slyly shift credit to ourselves, it is God who gives us life through his Spirit, and the character of His Spirit is evident in God's word.

Lorraine Doswell said:

Randy Arnold said:

RSS

© 2022       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service