I'm just curious, what other music (I'll avoid using the word "secular") aside from "worship" or CCM inspires and moves you?

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The first time I heard Glen Hansard's "When Your Mind's Made Up" it humbled me... mostly because the passion communicated was so much greater than most music I've heard. Clearly not every singer is gifted with expressive freedom nor is it always appropriate for every recording.
Lots of other genres - Jazz, Classical, Gospel, R+B, Rock...as long as it's good...
Not afraid to admit it - like Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Jethro Tull, Joe Bonamassa, Tom Petty, Mark Knopfler, Brian Setzer etc. If we didn't enjoy other forms, I think our own music would become rather stale.
When WtR first started up (or at least back when I discovered it), there were separate categories in your profile for secular and Christian music... at some point, it just turned into "favorite music" and all that got carried over was the Christian music favorites... but I used to search every now and then to see if there were any other Deadheads on here... never found anybody, though there were a few generic "60s rock" listings. Anybody?

Anyway.. Grateful Dead, Jimmy Buffett, Jackson Browne, Bruce Cockburn, Joni Mitchell, Prince, Lou Reed, David Wilcox.

Charles
My name is Mike and I'm a Deadhead. All respond "Hi Mike".

I don't listen to them much anymore, but can still get moved by some of their stuff as well as the JGB. The Jerry ballads like 'So Many Roads', 'Ship of Fools', or his version of 'Forever Young' can do me in. I also occasionally get a desire to listen to the Allman Brothers, Traffic, and Emmylou Harris. Not too much of my past has that much meaning anymore.
Hi Mike,

It's ok, we're not only believers but human. If Jerry Garcia writes a song that gets into your heart, it's not a bad thing. How about "It Must Have Been the Roses"? Or (Robert Hunter) "Mississppi Halfstep" from "Wake of the Flood"?

The latest song to grab my soul was "Remembrance Day" by Mark Knopfler. Makes me want to cry.

Let's face it, does worship and CCM music cover all there is about the human experience? Should it?
Wow..there is a lot to choose from. Tom Petty, Eric Clapton, Cheap Trick, Bryan Adams, Sting, Brad Paisley, and many others.

Smitty
I get my instrumental-display-fix from David Benoit (the pianist), example here

If I want loads of solos, to remind me why I love jazz fusion, I listen to Japanese fusion bands, like Casiopea and T-Square.

Yup, that's me! :)
Hi I really like Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" and looking for an oppurtunity to use it in worship. Does anyone remember the story behind this song?

RSS

© 2021       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service