Greetings WTR peps!

At my church we are currently working on the development of our theology of worship.  In other words we are seeking to flesh out on paper what we believe the Bible has to tell us about the practice of worship.  For those of you who have already worked through this process I would love to see your work... That is if you don't mind sharing it.  It would be helpful to us to see what others have developed.

Thanks!

Views: 1380

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow your really can learn something new everyday. I didn't know that flag waving was common practice in some churches. Interesting. Is the book more philosophical (his ideas) or theological (does he draw his argument from scripture. I ask because I whould be interested to know what texts he draws from.

I assume you are responding to my post on Wilbur's book.  Yes flags are very common in many charismatic congregations.  And he is clearly NOT opposed to them as he has used a team of "flaggers" in his own concerts. But they can become very distracting and pull people's focus away from the Lord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtSI7bRtY1w

The book is mostly his philosophy based on general biblical principles rather than specifics based on certain texts.

Joy is the flag flown high from the castle of my heart

from the castle of my heart

from the castle of my heart

joy is the flag flown hjgh from the castle of my heart

for the King is in residence there.

Let it fly in the sky

let the whole world know

let the whole world know, let the whole world know

let it fly in the sky, let the whole world know

that the King is in residence there.

Jeremiah 50:2 - "Lift up a standard", comes to mind.  Googling "Flags /Bible" will yield a number of sites with mostly OT Scriptures. 

The flag is sometimes represented with a flowing garment (long, wide sleeves) where the person becomes a living sort of flag while dancing or moving about gracefully. 

Distraction can become an issue, yes.  Once a lady, older and portly in dimensions, expressed a desire to dance and use a banner while worshiping God.  We were a Pentecostal congregation in which the pastor openly approved of "freedom of worship as the Lord leads."  The lady asked my wife about appropriateness (we were music pastors); she counseled "if you know the Lord says dance, then dance" -- knowing others may question (cf. David-&-Ark).  The Sunday she danced, some complained that she was "doing this to show off".  Wounded, but still wishing to worship the Lord with dance, she moved to the back of the sanctuary.  But her presence emboldened others.  Curiously, when a handsome young man or slender young woman waved banners, it was wonderful in the eyes of leadership. 

Perhaps the only way I can link that rabbit trail to your post is to say, "yes - you learn something new everyday."

Most Messianic congregations have Liturgical Dancers as a part of the service.  My wife is usually part of that group if she is not playing piano that week.

I could write an entire book about the misuse -- it's refreshing to know someone has something to say about how to use this ancient and wonderful instrument.

RSS

© 2021       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service