In a scene from "Remains of the Day":

A lady servant (single) has fallen in love with the head servant (Anthony Hopkins, the perfect servant, seemingly married to his job).  She corners him in his room, where he is reading a book.  She snatches the book out of his hands, and discovers it is a romance novel.  Hoping to find a romantic underneath his official manner, she asks him "why do you read this?".  He answers, matter-of-factly, "to increase my knowledge of customs and command of the Eng-lissch* language (*there is no way, using Roman letters, for an American to reproduce the way an Englishman pronounces the word 'English') (*One of my profs, Dr. Peter Racine Fricker, said, 'I am so English I can barely talk [tauwhlk]!)

Movies are full of great music, and my wife, who makes crocheted blankets and has great curiosity, buys videos of all sorts, which I hear daily.  I have no idea how any of these movies begin, because I am gradually drawn in by the music.  The music, besides just sitting in my head being good, turns on my creative genes.  Thus, the theme from "Captain Skyhawk" bobs up in fragments in an Easter drama, etc.  Some music is interdisciplinary;  I turn on Bach when I'm doing artwork, just as Chopin played Bach rather than practice for a concert, for "it gives me ideas."  The Bible provides its own music between the lines, as does Van Gogh or a walk on the beach (ever walked on the beach without music paper in your pocket, and an idea came up?  Arrghh!)

What turns you on?  What feeds your soul?  What brings you out of your own little music box?  Whose music changed your life?  Any favorite artists who are not merely good, but they motivate or bring a special richness to your heart and vigor to your spirit?

Views: 152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You woke up my memory of that wonderful Chaconne, which recording I had played to ruination long ago (I just went on iTunes and bought it!).   Could someone with a good knowledge of dance tell the Story in church, with the chaconne as the music?  (or is it best just to listen and think?)
Three more thumbs up from me on Chaconne. I've got this old scratchy recording by Segovia that still ends up being my favorite. He put so much emotion into that recording.
Lute was on his mind. But the same thing applies to Albeniz. The Spanish Suite wasn't written for guitar, but it fits perfectly.

One of my favorite vinyls ever is of Julian Bream, Bach & Spanish music on lute.

It's funny.  I've been a organist and pianist all my life, but when I think of "music", I think of a guitar, particularly an acoustic. 

A few thoughts below on guitars and such:

Attachments:

Anyone familiar with the harp guitar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MCHKtTrjTI&feature=related

There are many makes and models but one beautiful sounding instruments. Most of the nice ones I looked up were selling for 8, 9 or 10 grand.

Saw Richard Thompson Band  just over a week ago.   Fantastic.

Come feel the noise - Slade was one of the first songs that got me into guitars

listening to Richard Thompson and John Martyn really got my attention.   When I first went out with Jane (my wife) we went to see Mr Thompson at Banwell village hall(1981) and almost sat toe to toe with him. 

Chris Reas cd "Dancing down a Stoney Road" has a song "Sun is Rising"  that really lifts me.

Been of sick most of the week spend a day watching Lord of the Rings that needs to be seen in one

RSS

© 2021       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service