If you were having a coffee with a new worship leader and they asked you for advice what tips would you offer them?

Views: 347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This poses a tough question when you really think about it : ) I would like to think that I could give lots of encouragement to a new worship leader, yet at the same time not disallusion them by making out that it is a bed or roses.  I guess I would have to say 'go with the Lord and allow Him to guide you, but be prepared for a bumpy ride'. 

Of course I would most definitely tell them to join WTR............need I say more!!

Thanks Lorraine :-)

A broad question, Phil!  It depends on what kind of things they wanted tips with.  But, in terms of general advice, you can't go far wrong with "remember you're there to serve".  A practical outworking of that is that you make it as easy as possible for folks to join in.  If you can give a nice solid intro to each song, at a decent tempo, in a decent key, so that people know when to join in and can sing along when they do, then you won't go far wrong.

Thanks Daniel - yes, I think it's a little too open ended this one!

I would tell them, "Your greatest struggle may be spiritual rather than musical".

Dealing with people and their complaints/quirks/imperfections is the hardest part, IMO.

We can't have attitude. Lots of wisdom and patience is needed to deal lovingly with church factions and politics...

Good advice Daniel.  You can be a great musician technically, but if people are unable follow your lead, then it won't go down well with the congregation and fellow musicians. 

I would give them this verse: 

One thing I ask from the Lord,
    this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord
    and to seek him in his temple.

Psalm 27:4

It was in the intimacy with the Lord, in his closeness to the Lord that he was prepared to slay giants, conquer and won battles, get the Ark back to Jerusalem and changed a nation's (worship) culture (The Tabernacle of David). It all starts from a place of intimacy. 

Perhaps add:

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Colossians 3:12 

It think the two together will make for a great worship leader. 

I would offer a few things:

1. If you're going to stand between God and His people, be transparent so they can see Him through you.

2. Don't feel it's your responsibility to coax people into expression. Simply reflect the glory of God or some aspect of His nature. When people see God clearly, they can't help but worship Him, even if it doesn't immediately show on the outside for you to see.

3. The true value of your (and your team's) offering to God in corporate worship is found in the preparation and steps leading up to the moment of expression on Sunday. Don't pick up fruit off the ground and throw together a last minute offering to God like Cain. Do as Abel did and spend time developing, rehearsing, and preparing an expression that comes from your whole being. Without a life of obedience and surrender (which shows up in our daily routine), the smell of our offering is not pleasing to God. Amos 5:21-24

4. It's our responsibility to lead them to where we are. Fight the temptation to let the crowd lead you into whatever their current state is. Lead with encouragement so that they might be encouraged. If they are "down" or not very expressive when they first get there, don't get bummed out. Encourage them and be an example of one who sings of God's glory in ever circumstance. Don't be quick to admonish, but don't be afraid to encourage them to see past the heaviness they may be carrying.

Those are probably the first 4 things I would offer to a new worship leader. There's plenty more to discuss, but this is where I'd start.

Hopefully this will be an encouragement.

I don't know. The concept of team comes to mind, since most new worship leaders are young and need input from older, more seasoned leaders.  Assuming they were not independently minded in regard to worship, I would want to communicate that worship is part of the Helps gifting of the Spirit listed in Romans 12.  Charles Spurgeon said "worship is the plow that prepares the heart for the seed of the Word."  Worship leading is designed to help people become undistracted and get their hearts open to be taught.  If a worship leader tries to make it a "stand alone" ministry, it does just that, and doesn't really deepen the character or training of the people in their walk as disciples... Worship in a corporate service is designed to "help" the people and "help" the ministry of the Word to take root -- Since Bill and I pastor together, and two of our daughters are now worship leaders, we many times flow from worship to Word, and Word to worship -- Unity among the leaders is essential -- so I would start with the concept of "team." 

Secondly, I would go after the point of "not putting the Glory of God on a man-made cart." It is never ever about our musicianship and we cannot tolerate temperamentalism in ourselves or our team members (Lucifer's sin).

You can't take people where you haven't been -- so worship your face off in private, and deal with your past and present issues; You are stewarding something much greater than yourself --

No matter how the venue looks, with all your heart, strength, and mind...seize the moment unto God.

I would remind him or her that what we do on stage should be an overflow of what God is doing in us at home, in the quiet place, behind the closed door, in the car and on the computer. Worship Him with your whole heart and with all you are. We can't make anything on our own. We need Him in everything we do. We are simply a part (thank the Lord) of what He is already doing. Love Him first and most.

RSS

© 2021       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service