I shared this info on a reply to a previous post and thought I would start my own discussion about what I had shared. Please feel free to share your thoughts and comments. God bless.

Learning scales are key, but also learning which scales to use according to chord progression is very important. Learn your triad cells 1, 3 and 5 in all the forms (E forms, A forms, C forms, D forms etc.) This helps you learn scales, arpeggios and triads in all areas of the neck. Learning your arpeggios for all the scales is a huge plus. Discipline yourself to venture out into the unknown parts of the guitar neck. All of this is what I call the basics. These are the main basic ingredients to the cake--so to speak.

As far as techniques, this is the icing on the cake and your personal flare to the basics. Artificial harmonics, pull offs, hammer-ons, sliding, tapping, bending, tremelo and all the stuff that dresses up the basic scales. Listen to as many solos as possible and try and figure out what makes them unique. Find out what techniques they use.

Be tasteful with your soloing and try not to pour everything you know into 8 measures of solo. There is nothing wrong with playing whole notes and half notes--keeping it simple and tasteful. So many guitar players over play their solos from start to finish. It's just a messy mosh of 32nd notes and has no dynamic or climax build to the solo.

Sit with a friend a take turns soloing while the other plays rhythm. This really helped me with soloing and rhythm techniques. The word says in Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Buy instructional videos and maybe take some jazz guitar lessons. Jazz guitar will give you a huge understanding of how tones work over chord structures. Many times people can't get out of playing the blues scale and it's in every song and becomes monotonous.

Last but not least, steal licks from other players. This is the one area you can steal and and it's not a sin. :)

Views: 40

Replies to This Discussion

Good info, Alberto. Thanks for sharing. There's also a lot of good videos on YouTube, etc that will cover some of the basics. It all comes down to putting in the time. :)
Dear Alberto;

Thanks for the overview. I would call myself more of a rhythm player - growing into lead. I've played guitar for a long time with lots of different styles. If it hadn't been for blues I probably wouldn't have delved into "lead." I get on You Tube and watch some amazing leads on guitar AND bass. I see from those examples that I barely scratch the surface of "playing."

To amplify (pun intended) what you said about simplicity, I often agree with the saying, "Less is More." When everyone plays "fancy" it really sounds BAD!

We have to be ready to "perform" as musicians [Practice, Practice, Practice] as well as have our hearts ready to truly worship! It's okay to get the mechanics of the music as long as we're open to how the Holy Spirit leads us. (Could be applied to our spiritual walk as well. - Balance.)

It's Thanksgiving so I will keep a long tradition of restringing my guitar while watching one of the may parades on TV.

Exalt HIM!
>> This is the one area you can steal and and it's not a sin. :)

Love that.

Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief. - Bono from the song "The Fly" by U2.

Sometimes it's subconscious. However, I think it's often understated. You don't need to invent a new way of playing the guitar every time you get up there. Borrow stuff. Even "pop" or more famous stuff. There is reason it famous, because it works and sounds good. Almost everything has been done before.
For what it's worth, I just purchased Lincoln Brester's new DVDs call 1on1 volume 1 & 2, and if you really want to dive in and learn, then I'd recommend them. He goes through step by step many of his popular solos in songs, but also shows you playing tips and techniques, along with practice scales, etc. I'll be watching these discs over and over for a long time to come, they are so much above me! But it's a good challenge...stimulates the juices.

RSS

© 2020       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service